Acadia Gas Engines Limited fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Acadia Gas Engines Limited fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

MG 3 volumes 3886, 6037-6045, 5142-5162; Microfilms 1219; Accession 1979-171.

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1908-1971 (Creation)
    Creator
    Acadia Gas Engines

Physical description area

Physical description

3 m of textual records and other material

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1908-1966)

Administrative history

Founded in 1908 by W.T. Ritcey, Acadia Gas Engines Company Limited of Bridgewater, N.S., was Canada's largest manufacturer of marine engines. Originally incorporated under the Nova Scotia Companies Act in 1908 as Acadia Gas Engines Company Limited, the firm was reorganized in May 1917 and its name changed to Acadia Gas Engines Limited. The company opened a branch office and warehouse in St. John's, Nfld. in 1915. In its early years, the company's principal business was the manufacture of internal combustion engines for the use of fishermen in Atlantic Canada, as well as the production of winches for the hoisting of sails, cargo, and anchors on schooners. The firm went on to manufacture a variety of two-cycle and four-cycle engines and accessories for vessels, such as driving gears, heaving outfits, pumping outfits, and mill friction drives. By 1919 it had set up and incorporated a branch company, Acadia Stationary Engines Limited, to manufacture general purpose stationary engines. The firm later became marketers of British Leyland diesel engines and acted as selling agents for Chevrolet and Smith-Form trucks. Its other branch company, the Acadia Motor Car and Truck Company, was formed ca. 1920. In June 1966, Acadia Gas Engines was acquired by the Grimsby Group of Canada, Halifax, N.S., of the parent company Great Grimsby Coal, Salt and Tanning Co. Ltd., based in the United Kingdom.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of records created and accumulated by Acadia Gas Engines of Bridgewater, N.S. and its associated companies, Acadia Stationary Engines Limited and Acadia Motor Car and Truck Company. Includes minutes of directors and shareholders meetings, 1908-1921; business correspondence, 1920-1952; appraisal reports on machinery and equipment, 1922-1927; original and microfilmed scrapbooks containing newspaper clippings, memoranda, notices, advertisements, photographs, and ephemera, 1922-1966; sales reports; financial statements, 1909-1947; patent documents; company catalogues, product literature and price lists; 1920-1951; and other related material. Fonds also contains technical drawings (working drawings and blueprints), 1928-1971, illustrating various marine engine models, parts for vessels including hydraulic pumps, hoists, and gears, Chevrolet automobile engines, and a file of architectural building plans. Includes drawings by Hercules Motor Corporation, Leyland Motor Company, Canadian Department of Defense, and others. Photographs contained in the fonds, ca. 1912-1962, include views of various engine models and parts, interior and exterior views of the Bridgewater building and facilities, exhibition displays including the Nova Scotia Fisheries Exhibition, a small number of images of W.T. Ritcey and other officers, the Ritcey residence, and advertising slides mostly of the Acadia logo.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Scrapbooks loaned for microfilming by the firm in 1975 and donated with additional records in 1982. Material also donated by G.K. Feindel, curator of the DesBrisay Museum, Bridgewater, N.S. in 1979.

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Box list available for textual records.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

General note

Printing plates were donated with the fonds and subsequently transferred to the Nova Scotia Museum and the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic.

Physical description

Includes ca. 400 technical drawings and architectural drawings, 708 photographs (375 prints, 290 negatives, 43 glass slides), and 3 photograph albums.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres