Title and statement of responsibility area
Acadian Supplies Company fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
35 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Acadian Supply Company was a ship chandler and merchandiser located in Lunenburg, incorporated on January 12, 1920 and operated till 1966. They sold coal, lumber, cement, building and fishing supplies, locks and keys and groceries. On October 28, 1966 Acadian Supply Co. was sold to A.B.C.O. Ltd. of Lunenburg, who kept the name until they closed, the original Acadian Supplies Co. operated under the name Acadian Holdings Limited until 1967 as they finished closing their accounts. R.S. Corkum was managing director until his death in November of 1929. He was replaced by Henry C. Winters on February 28th, 1930. Winters resigned in April of 1940 and replaced by J. Bertram Morash. Other directors over the years included Captain Leo P. Corkum, Captain Will Spindler, Hugh R. Anderson and B.S. Richard.
Acadian Vessel Company was a subsidiary of Acadian Supply Company, it was incorporated on May 5, 1930 and operated till 1964. They owned, bought, sold, and operated ships and vessels. In 1930 they owned the following vessels, Nina M. Conrad, Maria A. Spindler, Grace Buchner, Marshal Frank, Robert Esdale, Elizabeth Warde, Annie B. Gerhardt, M + L Coaster, Jean M. Madelin, Isabel F. Spindler, Leah Beryl and Howard Donald.
Both businesses were subsidiary companies under Adams and Knickle Ltd. (MS-4-27)
Records were acquired in two parts with the Adams and Knickles fonds (MS-4-27). The ledgers, day books, miscellaneous records and papers and cash books were donated by Graham Knickle in June of 1977.
Scope and content
The Acadian Supply Company fonds consist of correspondence, financial, legal, sales and shipping records and vessel papers. Also included is correspondence from Lunenburg Mayor Douglas Adams, church papers from LaHave United Church and the Parish of Saint John in Lunenburg, and papers from the Lunenburg Yacht Club and Curling Club.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script note
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
All files are open.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Materials do not circulate and must be used in the Archives and Special Collections Reading Room. Materials may be under copyright. Contact departmental staff for guidance on reproduction.
No further accruals are expected.
Preferred citation: [Identification of item], Acadia Supplies Company fonds, MS-4-117, Box [box number], Folder [folder number], Dalhousie University Archives and Special Collections, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
- Adams and Knickle Limited. (Subject)
Genre access points
This fonds description comes from the Dalhousie University Archives Catalog. The complete, original description is available there.