Showing 1677 results

Authority record
Corporate body

2b theatre company

  • Corporate body
  • 1999-

2b theatre company was founded in 1999 by Christian Barry, Anthony Black, Andrea Dymond, Zach Fraser and Angela Gasparetto, and incorporated in May 2000 as Bunnies in the Headlights Theatre. In 2004 Barry and Black became artistic co-directors, refined the company’s artistic and operational vision with increased emphasis on touring, and renamed the company 2b. Many of their productions have been developed and produced in collaboration with other artists—writers, performers and musicians.

A. Belcher & Co. (Halifax, Nova Scotia)

  • Corporate body

A. Belcher and Co. was a partnership between Andrew Belcher and Mather Byles Almon, which operated out of Halifax, Nova Scotia. The business was primarily an agency for mercantile trade, shipping goods to and from Halifax, the United States, the United Kingdom, and the British West Indies. The company also sold insurance. Mather Byles Almon, merchant, banker, politician, and philanthropist, was the partner in Halifax. He was born in 1796 at Halifax, the son of William James and Rebecca (Byles) Almon. Almon helped establish the Bank of Nova Scotia in 1832 and became its president in 1837. He died in Halifax on 30 July 1871.
Andrew Belcher, merchant, justice of the peace, and politician, was born in Halifax on 22 July 1763, the son of Jonathan and Abigail (Allen) Belcher. He operated a number of successive partnerships including the one with Mr. Almon. He removed to England in 1811 where he worked as a non-resident member of the Halifax merchant class. Belcher’s fortunes took a downward turn and he moved back to Halifax in 1829. From 1827 to 1833 Belcher was Halifax agent for the General Mining Association (GMA), also known as Rundell, Bridge & Rundell, a British company involved in large-scale coal exports from Nova Scotia to the United States. Early in 1834 Mr. Belcher lost the appointment to rival shipping entrepreneur Samuel Cunard. Belcher died in Boulogne-sur-mer, France, on 17 November 1841. It is not known when the partnership of A. Belcher & Co. ended.

Abbass Studios Ltd.

  • Abbass
  • Corporate body
  • 1946-Present

The Abbass family emigrated from Lebanon to Cape Breton at the turn of the 20th century. With his wife, Lilly Khattar, Jobe Abbass built a home on Townsend Street in Sydney, N.S. and together raised twelve children. It is in this building that three of those children, George, John and Anthony started Abbass Studios in the summer of 1946.

While still in high school at Sydney Academy, George took a job as an apprentice at Meyer’s Photography, a national chain. In 1941, after graduating from high school, his brother John also secured a job with Meyers where they both learned the craft of photography. Eventually they began private work contracting jobs with the Post Record and Chronicle Herald newspapers. In January of 1943 four of the Abbass boys, George, John, Joe and Ferris, enlisted to serve during World War II. They left their younger brother Anthony (Tony), who was too young to enlist, in charge of their Post and Herald contracts. When the brothers returned from war, they received a stipend from the government to open their own business.

Abbass Studios opened its doors July 18, 1946 in the family home on Townsend Street in Sydney, N.S. . The studio offered photo finishing, portraits and commercial photography. By the mid-1960s Abbass Studio served all of the Maritime Provinces. The company built a photo finishing plant in Moncton, New Brunswick and purchased stores in New Castle, New Brunswick. The brothers eventually brought the Econo-Color Camera Stores and Studios franchise from Sherman Hines.

Abbass Studios captured and continues to document the diverse economic, political and cultural heritage of the area. The business is still in family hands and run by John’s sons Blaise and John. The Townsend Street building was demolished in 2014 and Blaise Abbass now operates Abbass Studios, Sydney from his home. John Abbass runs the store at Scotia Square Mall in Halifax.

Acadia Amateur Athletic Association

  • Corporate body
  • 1889-1969

In 1889, Acadia University dissolved its three existing athletic clubs (football, baseball, and cricket) and formed the Acadia Amateur Athletic Association (A.A.A.A.). Its initial mandate stated that it was “to promote an interest in the physical development of the students by means of healthy, vigorous and entertaining games, and to keep in condition a campus well appointed for this purpose” (Acadia Athenaeum, Nov. 1894). J. R. Herbin, the main force behind its formation, was appointed its first president. The A.A.A.A. became “the only Society existing, with the approval of the college authorities for the maintenance of field sports” (Acadia Athenaeum, Dec. 1897). It was also “the one society of Acadia which is recognized by, and has representation in the ‘Maritime Province Football Union’” (Acadia Athenaeum, Feb. 1891). The Association became one of the more important organizations on campus. It was exclusively responsible for the maintenance of campus sports arenas and athletic resources. The grounds and most of the equipment needed for any sport on campus were supplied and sustained by the Association. Among the games controlled by the A.A.A.A. were football, baseball, tennis, hockey and lacrosse, although this varied over time. The members were also responsible for a widely attended annual field day, and occasional receptions held in College Hall. During the first half of the 20th century Acadia University was a member of the Maritime Provinces Branch of the Amateur Athletic Union of Canada (MPBAAUC). The Amateur Athletic Union of Canada (1909 - 1970) was responsible for maintaining the integrity of amateur sports in Canada and for solving any disputes that arose. It represented most of Canada’s sports organizations; however the Maritime Provinces Branch was not as active as other branches in Canada because the AAUC was controlled primarily by Ontario and Quebec. It has not been determined with certainty when the A.A.A.A. was dissolved, but it was most likely about the 1969/70 school year as it last appears in the Acadia University yearbook in 1968.

Acadia Centre for Baptist and Anabaptist Studies

  • Corporate body
  • (1991- )

The Acadia Centre for Baptist and Anabaptist Studies (ACBAS) was established in 1991 cooperatively by the Acadia Divinity College and the Vaughan Memorial Library of Acadia University, with Dr. J. K. Zeman serving as its first Director. Its primary goal is to encourage and facilitate studies in the fields of Baptist and Anabaptist history and thought. Through ACBAS lectures, conferences, grant support, and published works are supported to achieve its primary objective.

Acadia Gas Engines

  • Corporate body
  • 1908-1966

Founded in 1908 by W.T. Ritcey, Acadia Gas Engines Company Limited of Bridgewater, N.S., was Canada's largest manufacturer of marine engines. Originally incorporated under the Nova Scotia Companies Act in 1908 as Acadia Gas Engines Company Limited, the firm was reorganized in May 1917 and its name changed to Acadia Gas Engines Limited. The company opened a branch office and warehouse in St. John's, Nfld. in 1915. In its early years, the company's principal business was the manufacture of internal combustion engines for the use of fishermen in Atlantic Canada, as well as the production of winches for the hoisting of sails, cargo, and anchors on schooners. The firm went on to manufacture a variety of two-cycle and four-cycle engines and accessories for vessels, such as driving gears, heaving outfits, pumping outfits, and mill friction drives. By 1919 it had set up and incorporated a branch company, Acadia Stationary Engines Limited, to manufacture general purpose stationary engines. The firm later became marketers of British Leyland diesel engines and acted as selling agents for Chevrolet and Smith-Form trucks. Its other branch company, the Acadia Motor Car and Truck Company, was formed ca. 1920. In June 1966, Acadia Gas Engines was acquired by the Grimsby Group of Canada, Halifax, N.S., of the parent company Great Grimsby Coal, Salt and Tanning Co. Ltd., based in the United Kingdom.

Acadia Ladies' Seminary

  • ALS
  • Corporate body
  • 1862-1926

In 1858 Rev. John Chase opened a school for young ladies at Wolfville, NS with his daughters, who had studied at Mount Holyoke seminary, MA, as teachers. Two years later the school was taken over by the Education Society with Miss Alice Shaw (who later married Rev. Alfred Chipman) as Principal. Miss Shaw had also studied at Mount Holyoke Seminary and prior to becoming Principal had conducted her own Girls’ School in Berwick, NS. From 1862 to ca1870, the school was known as the Grand Pre Seminary, but in 1872 it became the “Female Department” of Horton Academy. In 1865 the Academy including the Seminary, came under the control of Acadia College. After 1872 the Seminary was moved to the Acadia campus, and in 1877 it, with the Academy, passed into the hands of the Board of Governors of the University.
In 1879 a building was built specifically to accommodate the Seminary. It was four stories high and provided rooms for 50-60 students, as well as classrooms, a reception room, etc. In 1890 an east wing was added. This extension was 130 feet long, with a stone basement, hot water heat and electricity. Part of it was equipped for a gymnasium. The first floor contained classrooms, a dining room and an assembly hall and at the rear there were lawn tennis courts, as well as courts for basketball and croquet. The attached Music Hall was completed in 1899, containing a Music Room and studios, including a large studio for the Director of Pianoforte. The Annex, near the Seminary, provided accommodation for the Junior School and for those students who could not find rooms in the main building.
In 1926 President Patterson reorganized the Acadia Ladies’ Seminary and the Acadia Collegiate and Business Academy. The pre-college classes in these institutions were united to
form a co-educational school known as the Horton Academy of Acadia University. Courses in Music, Household Economics and Art, formerly given by the teachers of the Seminary, were transferred to the University; the diploma courses in these subjects remained, but additional courses were added qualifying for the degrees of Bachelor of Music and Bachelor of Science in Household Economics. One reason for the reorganization was that the number of students entering the Seminary for pre-college work had decreased, while the number enrolling for courses in Music and Household Economics had increased.

Results 1 to 10 of 1677