Showing 366 results

Authority record
Corporate body · 1939 - 1996

The Bedford Fire Department was founded in 1939, and was responsible for procuring and maintaining the necessary equipment and conducting all fire fighting operations within its jurisdiction. Over time these duties expanded to include a wide range of emergency services, as well as educational, preventative, and community outreach activities. Bedford also maintained mutual aid agreements with the City of Halifax for emergency situations and disaster planning.

Bedford's first fire station was located at the corner of Rutledge and Borden Streets. In 1962 the Fire Department moved into a new station on the Bedford Highway. Additions were made in the 1970s and 1980s to make room for the acquisition of bigger and better equipment. For much of its history, the Bedford Fire Department was comprised primarily of volunteers. By the mid 1970s, however, increasing demands from a growing population necessitated the hiring of several career fire fighters. Following town incorporation in 1980 and continuing until amalgamation with the Halifax Regional Municipality in 1996, volunteers played an increasingly secondary supporting role in Bedford's Fire Department.

Prior to town incorporation in 1980, Bedford formed part of the Municipality of the County of Halifax. The Bedford Fire Department formed part of the County's emergency services, as co-ordinated by the Fire Departments Advisory Board. After amalgamation, the Bedford Fire Department became Halifax Regional Fire and Emergency Services Station #8.

Bedford (N.S.). Town Council
Corporate body · 1979 - 1996

Although the Act to Incorporate the Town of Bedford was not assented to until December 28, 1979, the Council of the Town of Bedford started to perform their duties of office effective November 14, 1979. According to the Towns Act, the Council exercised all jurisdiction, power and authority which, but for the incorporation of the town, might have been exercised by the municipal council of the County of Halifax. Council consisted of the mayor and six councillors, all elected at large (no wards) for a term of three years. Quorum at Town Council was four members, including the Chair. Meetings were called by the Mayor as often as he or she deemed necessary. Special meetings could be called upon the request of three members of Council. Emergency meetings could be called by the Mayor on short notice when necessary, but no business could be transacted at these meetings save the business indicated by the notice of the meeting. The Mayor presided as Chairman for all meetings, or the Deputy Mayor or some other member chosen, if the Mayor was absent. In Bedford, the Chairman had a right to vote. In the event of a tied vote, the motion was deemed to have been lost. The last meeting of Council was held March 29, 1996; the Town was amalgamated into Halifax Regional Municipality on April 1, 1996. See “a complete list of elected officials.":https://www.halifax.ca/about-halifax/municipal-archives/source-guides/elected-officials-list

Bell, F.H., 1855-1940
Person · 1855-1940

Francis Hugh Bell was born 6 August 1855 at Halifax, Nova Scotia, where he later became a barrister. He married M. Leila Steede (1862-1933) of Hamilton, Bermuda. They had at least two children, a daughter Barbara and a son, Hugh. Bell was a member of the Royal Nova Scotia Yacht Squadron and closely involved with the Marblehead to Halifax races. Frank H. Bell died in 1940.

Benjamin Oakeshott

Benjamin Oakeshott served in the Second World War; stationed in Ottawa in 1942 where he married Doris St. Pierre. He served overseas and later lived in Grand Forks, BC. His parents were William and Margaret Oakeshott, originally from Toronto, later of Prairie River, Saskatchewan.

HRM Archives · [19-] - [1996?]

The Board of School Trustees, school section no.75, Lower Sackville, was responsible for managing and operating the schools in that district. Working with the local community, the staff of local schools, and the County's Municipal School Board, the Trustees inspected schools; managed school property and supplies; approved student transfers; suspended or expelled students; and oversaw the section's finances.

Corporate body

The first collective agreement between the Halifax Civic Employees Local Union Number 143 of the Canadian Union of Public Employees (C.U.P.E.) and the City of Halifax appears to have been made in February of 1967. The union, whose chief officers included a president, secretary, and treasurer, acted as the collective bargaining agent for full-time permanent administrative employees. While this local now appears to be inactive, collective agreements between the city and the union were in place until 1991.

Capitol Theatre
Corporate body · 1930-10-31 - 1974

The Capitol Theatre opened its doors on Barrington Street at the foot of Spring Garden Road, on October 31, 1930. Known for its extravagant architecture and lush decor, the theatre was very popular in the hey-dey of cinema. The Capitol Buildng was built by Brookfield construction and also housed Maritime Telegraph and Telephone Company offices and a shoe store. It was demolished in 1974 by MT&T to make room for the Maritime Centre high-rise tower.

Before the Capitol Theatre, the location was the home of the Academy of Music, a music hall which was renamed the Majestic in 1918, then torn down in 1930. It opened in 1877 and was demolished in 1929.

Corporate body · [????] - 1996

The Churchill Estates Water Utility provided water to residents of the Churchill Estates subdivision in Herring Cove. Water was sourced from groundwater wells. The utility was apparently under the same governing and administrative apparatus as the Halifax County Water Utility, but had its own budget and reported separately to the Nova Scotia Utility and Review Board. Operation of the Churchill Estates Water Utility was transferred to the the Halifax Regional Water Commission in 1996. In 2004, Halifax Regional Municipality announced that the Churchill Estates subdivision would be connected to the water commission's main supply system.

Corporate body · 1842 - [1976]

The first property tax assessments for the City of Halifax were undertaken prior to 1820. The earliest existing assessment record is from 18[17] and was (as with all assessments prior to the incorporation of the City of Halifax in 1841) undertaken by Halifax County Court of General Session of the Peace. In 1842, City Council hired a city assessor, in addition to assistant assessors for set terms for their position. In addition, ward assessors for each ward were elected. Council provided direction on who was eligible to seek this office – many occupations such as clergy-- were ineligible. The role of the assessment staff is described in detail in each City Charter, Council minutes, bylaws and provincial statutes. These sources describe how, when and what forms were/are to be used for completing the assessment. Descriptions of the assessor’s office and the assessment process is provided in The Brittain Report (1938): “The Assessor is the executive head of the department. He is a permanent official appointed by the Council and holds office until at least two-thirds of the members of Council at a regular or special meeting vote in favour of his dismissal or superannuation. His staff at present consists of two Assistant Assessors, one of whom discharges the duties of his chief during vacation or when his chief is not in attendance. […] It is the duty of the Assessor and his staff to carry out the provisions of the City Charter relating to assessment. In the matter of valuation all real property must be valued by the Assessor at its actual value at the time of assessment. The expression “value” in the Charter means the value of property as determined by the Assessor or by the Court of Tax Appeals on appeal from the assessor. Land and buildings are required to be valued separately.” [pg. 37-38] In 1976, the Province of Nova Scotia took over the administration of assessments. In 2004, the Nova Scotia Assessment Management Board was created to oversee these records. As of April 1, 2008, the Property Valuation Services Corporation (PVSC)-- a not-for-profit corporation—took over responsibility for property assessments in Nova Scotia and all post 1976 assessment records formerly in the care of the Province were transferred to PVSC. More information can be obtained by consulting PVSC’s website, in addition to consulting the Property Valuation Services Corporation Act (2006). PVSC will provide access to assessment records in its holdings.

Cole Harbour Place
Corporate body · 1989 -

Cole Harbour Place was a recreational community facility built by the Municipality of the County of Halifax; it opened in 1989. It was initially overseen by the Cole Harbour Place Board, which consisted of 11 members appointed by County Council: three who were nominated by the Service Commission; one nominated by the provincial government; one staff member of the Halifax County Municipality; two councillors representing districts 7, 23, 24, or 25; and four members appointed by council.

Ownership of Cole Harbour Place was transferred to Halifax Regional Municipality upon the municipal amalgamation in 1996. The management of the facility was placed under a community board named Community Builders Inc.