Showing 4351 results

Authority record

Weeren, Donald, Dr., fl. 1963-1996

  • Person

Donald Weeren was born in London, England. He received his Bachelor of Arts from the University of Montreal in 1957, and began teaching English, Latin and Speech at Loyola High in Montreal, P.Q. In 1960, Weeren received his Master of Science in Education from Fordham University at New York City, New York and the following year he worked as an instructor in education at Syracuse University at Syracuse, New York. Weeren was hired as a lecturer in Education at Saint Mary's University in Halifax, Nova Scotia from 1962 to 1965, at which time he was promoted to the position of Associate Professor of Education. From 1964 to 1968 and again in 1992 to 1993, he was the Acting Dean of Education, and was Dean of Education from 1971 to 1976. In addition, Weeren sat on the Academic Senate from 1964 to 1969 and 1973 to 1975. He served on various committees, such as the Senate Quality of Teaching committee, and the Senate Scholarship committee. In 1995 Weeren was promoted from Associate Professor to Professor of Education, a position which he held until his retirement in 1996.

Weil, Robert

  • Person

Dr. Robert Weil, MD, LMCC, FRCP, FAPA, FACP, was born on 16 November 1909 in Vimperk (Winterberg), in what is now Czechoslovakia. He graduated from the German University of Prague's Medical Faculty in 1929 and served as a medical officer in the Czechslovakian Army until 1935, when he went into general practice. He and his wife, Stella, who was also a doctor, left their home in Graupen for Prague, then for Great Britain and finally for Canada in 1939. He practised general medicine in northern Saskatchewan until 1942, when he began working with the Saskatchewan Mental Health Services. His work with other pioneers helped move towards the provision of the Canadian Psychiatric Association, of which he was a founding member in 1950 and President in 1968. He interned in neurosurgery at the Saskatoon City Hospital from 1944-1945, worked at the Menninger School of Psychiatry in Topeka, Kansas, from 1949-1950, and was a Research Assistant in the Department of Sociology at Warne State University in Detroit, Michigan, in 1950.

Weil came to the Department of Psychiatry at Dalhousie University in 1950, an appointment from which he retired in 1975 as Associate Professor. He continued in private practice, including work with veterans at Camp Hill Hospital. He was involved with numerous psychiatric associations, and participated in national and international conferences. His research and published writing covered a wide variety of subjects. He was involved with the commission studying the 1958 Springhill Mining Disaster, interviewing survivors and analyzing the incident's impact on the community.

He died on 6 May 2002 at the age of 92, survived by his wife, but predeceased by his only child, Sonja Weil.

Weir, Harold, 1902-1978

  • Person
  • 1902-1978

Harold Alexander Weir was born in Truro in 1902, the son of James and Isabella (Johnston) Weir. He began his professional career in Pugwash where he taught school from 1924 to 1927 after completing graduate work at King's and Dalhousie Universities. He joined the staff of Halifax Academy, where in 1935 he won a Carnegie Fellowship in education. This enabled him to continue his studies at the University of London. In 1938 he was appointed inspector of schools for the County of Colchester and in 1940 was asked to assume the position of inspector for the County of Halifax. His leadership in setting up a municipal school board in his own inspectorate was recognized by the department of education and his services were then made available to all counties in the province. He later became chief inspector and, eventually, Director of Educational Services. In 1967 he was appointed to the position of Director of School Planning and Conveyance in which he served until his retirement. He was twice married, first to Ethel Smith of Pugwash who predeceased him and later to Grace Kirby of Porters Lake. He had two children. He died on 20 November 1978 at Halifax, Nova Scotia.

Weld, Charles Beecher

  • Person
  • 1899-1991

Charles Beecher Weld was physician, researcher and faculty member at Dalhousie University. He was born in Vancouver in 1899 and educated at the University of British Columbia (BA, MA) and the University of Toronto (MD). He served overseas with the Canadian Armed Forces during World War One and in 1936 he joined Dalhousie's Faculty of Medicine as a professor of physiology, a position he held until 1965. He continued to teach in other capacities at Dalhousie until 1969 and was awarded an honorary degree in 1970. Dr. Weld published over ninety-five papers, was a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada, and was active in community organizations and professional associations. He died in 1991.

Weldon, Richard Chapman, 1849-1925

  • Person

Richard Chapman Weldon, QC, was a lawyer, educator and politican. He was born in Sutton, New Brunswick, to Richard Weldon and Catherine Geldart. He received his BA and MA in political science from Mount Allison Wesleyan College before attending Yale College in New Haven, where he studied constitutional and international law and graduated with his doctorate in political science. For a short time he pursued further studies in law at the University of Heidelberg.

In 1875 he accepted a professorship in mathematics and political economy at Mount Allison, and by 1880 had apprenticed himself to a Sackville lawyer. He was called to the Nova Scotia bar shortly after being appointed Dean of the newly formed Faculty of Law at Dalhousie University, where he also became the first full-time professor of law in post-confederation Canada (1883-1914). He served as a Conservative MP from 1887-1896, representing Albert, New Brunswick, where he owned land. Appointed a dominion QC in 1890, he acted as counsel to the firm of Harris, Henry, and Cahan from 1897.

Weldon married Sarah Maria Tuttle in 1877 in Stellarton, Nova Scotia, and they had four sons and one daughter. Shortly after Sarah's death in 1893 he married Louisa Frances Hare in Halifax, with whom he had seven children. He died in 1925 in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia.

Weldon, Richard L.

  • Person

Richard L. Weldon was a barrister and the grandson of Richard Chapman Weldon, founder and first dean of Dalhousie Law School in 1883. He served as Dartmouth alderman for Ward 5 from 1966/67 into the 1970s. In 1971/72 he served as Deputy Mayor. He later became a Progressive Conservative member of Legislature and served on the Utility and Review Board.

Welfare Council (Halifax-Dartmouth area)

  • Corporate body
  • 1930-

In October 1930, a Council of Social Agencies was established by, and for, social welfare agencies in Halifax and Dartmouth, N.S. The purpose of the council was to study, plan, and advise the community in the areas of health, welfare, and recreation services and programs. Its name changed to the Welfare Council of Halifax in 1951 and the Welfare Council (Halifax-Dartmouth area) in 1963, with its services extending to the surrounding area of the cities.

Welfare Council (Halifax-Dartmouth area)

  • Corporate body
  • 1930 -

The Welfare Council (Halifax-Dartmouth area) was established in October 1930 under the name Council of Social Agencies to serve the interests of social welfare agencies in Halifax, advising the community in areas of health, welfare, and recreation services and programs. In 1951 the name changed to the Welfare Council of Halifax, and in 1963 to the Welfare Council (Halifax-Dartmouth area), when it extended its services outside of the city.

Wellington School (Wellington, Yarmouth County, N.S.)

  • Corporate body
  • 1842-1957

Early documents record that a school house at Wellington, Yarmouth County, Nova Scotia, had been in existence since 1842. The community is also known to have the oldest Home and School Association in Yarmouth County. Following the 1864 Education Act, Wellington was designated as School Section Number 22 in the District of Yarmouth. The date of founding for the five room school house is unknown. However it is known that the school supported students from pre-schoolers up to grade 10. All of the students were taught in the same room and the remaining rooms were used for special classes such as manual training (shop class). The school was closed following the opening of Hebron Consolidated School in 1957.

Results 4141 to 4150 of 4351