The Amherst Body of Marsh was established on 18 January 1882, at Amherst, Nova Scotia. Thirty proprietors gathered to propose to the government a project to reclaim a large body of marshland located between what was then known as the Township of Amherst and the Township of Fort Lawrence. The marshland encompassed hundreds of acres of land owned by several dozen people. The proprietors were owners of two-thirds of the marshland, and their corporation was established to improve the drainage of the marsh, which would benefit all who owned sections of the marsh. Their proposal was passed and they worked jointly with the Hon. Hiram Black, Commissioner of Sewers of Cumberland County, to repair the existing dyke system and to perform continuous maintenance. Thomas Lusby of Amherst was appointed the first clerk. Interest in the upkeep of the dyke appears to have waned in the 1910s, and died out by 1923.