Affichage de 6 résultats

Notice d'autorité
Sherbrooke, NS

Sinclair, Robert Ramsay

  • Personne
  • ca. 1842 - 1914

Robert Ramsay or R.R. Sinclair was born ca. 18 October 1842, likely in Sherbrooke, Guysborough County, Nova Scotia. His grandfather, Donald Sinclair, was a merchant who emigrated to Sherbrooke from Thurso, Scotland around 1807. He took with him his two sons, Alexander and William. Alexander married Margaret Ramsay (originally from Edinburgh) in 1830 and together they had ten children, including Robert Ramsay. The family were Anglican. Alexander and his family lived in Sherbrooke before settling in Liscomb, likely in the late 1850s or early 1860s, where they operated a large, successful sawmill, producing over 500,000 board feet of lumber, laths, and staves in 1871. After Alexander Sinclair died in 1866, the mill was operated by his sons Donald Smith, Robert Ramsay, and William James as Donald Sinclair and Bros. The brothers were also involved in shipbuilding, and the James R. Lithgow (1872) and the Three Cheers (1873) were built in their yard at Liscomb. In 1873, the Liscomb sawmill was sold, and R.R. Sinclair moved to Sherbrooke where he worked as a merchant through to the first decades of the 20th century, selling groceries and general provisions. His first store was near the McDaniel's Sherbrooke Hotel on Mill St., where he also boarded, and in 1900 he built a new store located on Main or First St., just past the bridge to Goldenville and across from Anderson's grocery store. The building was demolished in 2018. R.R. Sinclair was also a dealer and exporter of lumber and farm produce. While most of his clients and customers were farmers within the St. Mary's River region, as well as townspeople from the villages of Sherbrooke and Goldenville, he also supplied local gold mining and lumbering companies with provisions, and exported lumber to Nova Scotia building firms like Chappell Bros. in Sydney, Cape Breton. Local memory recalls that "Bob," as he was known, would buy "rafts" of lumber floated down the river from Caledonia, which he then exported on the coastal steamer, S.S. Dufferin. It is likely that Sinclair owned a sawmill on the Northwest Arm Brook in Sherbrooke, as well as a large tract of land on present-day Cameron Rd., listed as the "Sinclair Property" on the 1876 A.F. Church map of Sherbrooke, and where the R. Sinclair shipyard was also located. Sinclair built at least two schooners at his St. Mary's shipyard, the William Hayes in 1874 and the Marshall S. in 1876. At some point, he purchased 124 Cameron Rd, a large Gothic Revival house that had been built for his brother, Marshall Sinclair, a merchant in Goldenville. Later, in 1896, R.R. Sinclair purchased 8149 Main St,. Sherbrooke, which he owned until his death on 19 January 1914, in Wolfville, Nova Scotia. He is buried in Bridgetown, Nova Scotia. R.R. Sinclair was also a member of the 4th Guysborough Regiment, a militia formed in response to the Fenian raids of 1866, serving in the Liscomb area. He remained a life-long bachelor.

St. Mary's Rebekah Lodge

  • Collectivité
  • 1927 -

The International Association of Rebekah Assemblies (also known as the Rebekahs or the Daughters of Rebekah) is an international sororal and service organization that was founded in 1851. It is the female auxiliary of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows [I.O.O.F.] The St. Mary's Rebekah Lodge was instituted on 6 August 1927. The first Noble Grand was Mrs. Margaret G. McKeen, First Vice Grand Miss Annie Bears.

Lomas family

  • 2022.006
  • Famille
  • 1927-2012

Alton Anderson Lomas was born 29 March 1927 in Halifax, Nova Scotia to Alton Inkerman Lomas, manager of the Henry Birks & Sons store, and Mary Forbes (Anderson) Lomas, a schoolteacher from a prominent family in Sherbrooke, NS. One year later, Aleah Henderson Palmer was born 8 June 1928 in Boston, Massachusetts, to businessman Ingham Wright Palmer and Maude (Henderson) Palmer. The Palmers were Canadian, and returned to Canada in 1933, settling in Summerside, Prince Edward Island. In 1948, Alton (Al) and Aleah met as undergraduate students with a mutual interest in History, and the couple wed in 1949. 
Al and Aleah lived in Halifax and Windsor, Nova Scotia, as well as Borden, Ontario, until Al was appointed to the Canadian Foreign Trade Commissioner Service in 1953. From 1953-1982, Al worked as Vice-Consul and Assistant Commissioner at the Canadian Government Trade Commission in Detroit, Michigan; Trade Commissioner at the Canadian Embassy in Mexico City, Mexico; Trade Commissioner and Commercial Secretary of the Canadian Embassy in Brussels, Belgium; Trade Commissioner, Canadian Consulate General and Canadian Delegate to the United Nations Development Program in New York City, New York; Senior Assistant to the Deputy Minister of Industry, Trade and Commerce in Ottawa, ON; Assistant Deputy Minister at Nova Scotia Department of Development, then Secretary to the Council of Maritime Premiers in Halifax, NS; and Senior Trade Officer and Minister of the Canadian Embassy in Beijing, China.  
After Al Lomas retired from government service, he and Aleah moved to Sherbrooke, Nova Scotia, where they dedicated themselves to community service. In 1983, Aleah became Librarian and Storytime Leader at Sherbrooke Library, and in the 1990s, she reported on local news for CBC radio. She was also appointed to serve on the Historic Sherbrooke Restoration Commission. Al and Aleah collected extensive research on the Municipality of St. Mary’s with the intention of publishing a historical account of the area. The couple had two children, and five grandchildren. After Al Lomas passed away 17 June, 2000, Aleah continued her volunteer work. She was awarded the Lieutenant Governor’s Heritage Award and the Sir John Coape Sherbrooke Heritage Award in 2004. In 2005, Aleah married Murray Anderson, and they remained together until Aleah passed away on 18 August 2012.

Anderson family

  • Famille
  • ca. 1800s-1900s

The Andersons were a prominent business family in the Sherbrooke, Guysborough County area in the late 19th to mid-20th centuries. Alexander William "Sandy" Anderson was born ca. 1840 in West River, Pictou County, Nova Scotia, where his family ran the Anderson Hotel at West River Station. It is believed that the family lived in the Halifax area, possibly Hammonds Plains, prior to moving to Pictou County in the 1830s. The youngest son of Robert and Elizabeth Anderson, by 1866 Alexander had moved to the Wine Harbour gold diggings in Guysborough County, where he worked in a store. In Wine Harbour he met his future wife, Caroline MacKeen, who was the local school teacher. When she returned home to Sherbrooke to teach at the newly constructed school house, Alexander moved to Goldenville, which was closer to Sherbrooke. He married Caroline MacKeen on 4 November 1867 and shortly after their marriage they opened a boarding house in Goldenville. At some point during the 1870s, Alexander started the firm A. Anderson & Sons (also at times known as A. Anderson & Son), general merchants, later located at Rock Hall on Main St. in Sherbrooke. Alexander also maintained interests in timber and shipping, and acquired a large amount of property. Alexander and Caroline Anderson had five children: Clarence Wentworth (1871-1944); Robert Henry (1874-1907); Mabel Elizabeth (1877-1918); John Alexander (1879-1937); and Ethel Hattie (1881-1971). Caroline MacKeen Anderson died in 1910 and Alexander Anderson died in 1918.

Robert worked in mining operations in the United States and British Columbia. He died in Spokane, Washington in 1907. After working for a time in mining with his brother in B.C., John worked for the rest of his life in the A. Anderson & Sons general store and did not marry. Ethel and Mabel studied at the Halifax Ladies College. Ethel married Dr. James Ellis and Mabel "May" married Alexander Gunn of East River St. Mary's.

A shrewd businessman and a prominent figure in the political life of Nova Scotia, Clarence Wentworth Anderson, known as "C.W.," furthered the Anderson family business interests in the Sherbrooke area in the early decades of the 20th century. C.W. worked for J. B. Gass in Antigonish for a couple of years before beginning his studies at Pictou Academy in 1887. He then returned to Sherbrooke to work in his father's general store. In addition to running his father's store at Rock Hall with his brother John, C.W. founded the Scotia Lumber and Shipping Company with his brother-in-law Alexander Gunn of East River St. Mary's, who had married Mabel. C.W. Anderson was elected to the provincial legislature in 1920 on the Liberal ticket, and was re-elected in 1928 and 1933. Beginning in 1908, he served as the Warden of the Municipality of St. Mary's, a position he held for 12 years. He was married twice, first to Annie Baker of Marie Joseph in 1895, with whom he had eight children: Alexander (1896-1926); Robert (1897-1973); Mary (1899-1968); Annie (1901-1988); Helen (1903-1920); John (1905-1906); Margaret (1907-1911); Caroline (1911-1925). He then married Katherine Clifford MacLennan in 1941, before he died in 1944.

C.W. Anderson's descendants also went on to have successful business careers in the Sherbrooke area. C.W.'s grandson, Jack, took over A. Anderson & Sons general store after C.W.'s death in 1944. He operated the store until 1990, when it was subsequently sold.

Faulkner, Paula

  • Personne
  • 1964-

Paula (nee Horton) Faulkner is the daughter of John Horton and Margaret Carroll Sears. She was raised in the Municipality of the District of St. Mary's and attended school at St. Mary's Rural High.

Frank W. Jordan

  • Personne
  • 1916-2012

Frank Wendall Jordan was born 17 November, 1916 in Sherbrooke, Guysborough County, Nova Scotia, to John Abner Jordan and Blanche Augusta MacDonald Jordan. While training with the Royal Canadian Air Force, he met Joan Francis Barrington Armstrong in Sydney, Nova Scotia. They married, and returned to Sherbrooke, where they raised two daughters.

In addition to the RCAF, Frank worked in mines in Ontario, operated a general store on Main Street in Sherbrooke, then followed his sister Jennie Cruickshank into the role of Postmaster, later serving as President of the Nova Scotia Postmasters Association for District # 5. He was a devoted gardener who kept a beautiful home. Frank volunteered for many local associations, notably serving as Chair of the Sherbrooke Village Commission and President of the St. Mary’s Historical Society in the 1970s. His passion for regional history resulted in a rich fonds of material relating to life in the Municipality of the District of St. Mary’s. Frank Jordan passed away on 31 May, 2012, at the age of 95.