Showing 2 results

Authority record
Dalhousie University Archives

CKDU Radio

  • Corporate body
  • 1975 -

CKDU Radio is a campus radio station at Dalhousie University in Halifax, Nova Scotia. CKDU evolved from Dalhousie University's radio club, Radio Tiger, ca. the 1950s. In 1975 the station was renamed CKDU and began broadcasting on 610 AM in the Student Union Building via closed circuit and by carrier-current broadcasting in the university residences, Howe Hall and Fenwick Towers. Harvey MacKinnon was the first station manager and Stan Carew was the first program director. In its first year, approximately 40 students worked at the station as production personnel, news reporters, copy editors, public affairs interviewers, music programmers and on-air staff.

CKDU was granted an FM license in 1985. On 1 February 1985, at 4:00 p.m., the station began broadcasting on 97.5 FM, 24 hours a day. In 2006 the station increased its broadcasting power to 3200 watts and changed its frequency to 88.1 FM. The station is now operated by the not-for-profit CKDU-FM Society.

CKDU is mandated to act as an alternative to public and commercial radio stations, and to be a forum for diverse and under-represented voices, music and news. CKDU is committed to public access to the airwaves and supporting marginalized individuals and communities through their projects and programming. The station is a member of the National Campus and Community Radio Association, and in 1999 and 2011 was host to the National Campus and Community Radio Conference.

Wolfe, Augusta E.

  • Person
  • 1850-1939

Augusta E. Wolfe was born Augusta E. Croft on 3 January 1851 in West Dublin, Nova Scotia, to farmers Fred and Margaret Croft. In 1886 she married Daniel Edgar Wolfe, a fisherman, with whom she had at least one son, Harold E. Wolfe, who died at sea. She died a widow on 4 July 1939.