Showing 26 results

Authority record
Colchester Historical Society

Archibald, Isaac N.

  • Person
  • 1867

Isaac N. Archibald was a Deputy Surveyor for the County of Colchester, Nova Scotia and is listed in the 1867 Directory.

Busch, Henry Frederick, 1825–1902

  • Person
  • 1825–1902

Architect
Born in Hamburg, Germany, into a Lutheran family, Henry Frederick Busch travelled in Austria and in Russian-occupied Poland and spent about ten years in the United States, probably getting some architectural training there. Thus acquainted with the architecture of both the old world and the new, he came to Nova Scotia to visit his uncle Charles Walters, a boat builder in Chester, and married Mary Victoria, the daughter of a Captain Skinner.
Engaged as a draughtsman by architect Henry Elliot in 1861, Busch supervised the construction of the Union Marine Insurance building in Halifax. He became a partner in the firm of Elliot & Busch in 1864. In 1876, the partners separated, although they remained in the same Union Marine Building on Bedford Row, Halifax.
By the mid-1870’s, the Second Empire style had reached Nova Scotia, and Henry Busch became its foremost exponent. His work can be seen in the Halifax Academy Building (1878), the Halifax Dispensary (c.1880), The Old Ladies Home, the J. Wesley Smith House (1878), and the bandstand in the Halifax Public Gardens. His design for the Normal School at Truro (1877) is considered an exemplary adaption of the style and was chosen in a Parks Canada publication on the Second Empire style to illustrate its influence in Nova Scotia.
Henry F. Busch was naturalized in1874. He had acquired considerably property. Two of his sons were trained in the Busch Office. When he died in1902, survived by his wife, five children and his uncle Charles Walters, his estate was valued at $145,000. He had been a prominent architect for forty years, much esteemed also by contractors. His practice passed to his son Walter Johannes Busch.

Byers, Robert L.

  • Person
  • 1867

Robert L. Byers was a Deputy Surveyor for the County of Colchester, Nova Scotia and listed in the 1867 Directory.

Congdon, Captain John Dynham, 1825–1896

  • Person
  • 1825–1896

Sea Captain. Born in Great Village, Nova Scotia, he was the son of Phillip and Jane Congdon. First married to Susan Mahon, their children were Jane, Josephine and Ida. By his second wife, there were four children: Emma, James, John and Sarah. “Captain John” was educated in the local elementary and secondary school and was a Presbyterian. He built his house in 1858 and in 1992 it was still occupied by one of his decendants - his great-grandson, Douglas Congdon. Captain Congdon received his Masters Certificate in 1872. Amongst many vessels, he miraculously sailed the Barque “Bedford” across the Atlantic in 1885 after being hit by lightening mid-ocean and managing a contained cargo hold on fire for half the journey. Ironically, after many dangerous years at sea, Captain Congdon died in a farming accident at nearby Lornevale. He is buried in the Mahon Cemetery, Great Village, NS.

Elliot & Hopson (active 1895 – 1901)

  • Corporate body
  • 1895 - 1901

Edward Elliot and Charles H. Hopson partnered to form Elliot and Hopson, Architects in 1895, Halifax, Nova Scotia. The firm moved to the new Harrison Building on Barrington St. In 1896. Introducing the latest American styles, the firm executed a number of commissions for important residences in Halifax: the H. B. Clarke mansion, the Simon Holmes’ on South Park St., and the “Lindola” granite mansion on Young Ave., built for the Hobreckers in 1901 in teh Richardson Romanesque style. They also designed new buildings in Windsor, Sydney, and Truro, including the New Science Building (currently home to the Colchester Historical Society Museum and Archives) on Young Street in 1901.
Elliot’s death in 1901 caused the dissolution of the firm, and C. H. Hopson, with his brother, the engineer Edward G. Hopson, became the successors in the Hopson Bros. partnership.

Faltenhine, William Henry, 1883–1953

  • Person
  • 1883–1953

Businessman. William Faltenhine was born in Middlewood, Nova Scotia, to parents of German descent. He married Ina Gertrude Hiltz and their children were John, Nita and Jean. He spent several years in Western Canada in the construction industry. At the outbreak of the Boer War, he enlisted and served until wounded. He was decorated for valour. On his return to Canada, he operated a sawmill in Chester, NS. In 1918 he moved to Truro and eventually assumed full control of the Halliday-Craftsmen stores. Under his direction, the firm was developed into the most modern building supply service in the Maritimes. In 1938, he hired architect E. D. Vernon to design his new home located at 114 Victoria St., Truro. In religion he was Baptist and is buried in the Robie Sreet Cemetery, Truro, NS.

Gauld, John, 1795-1880

  • Person
  • 1795-1880

John Gauld was a Land Surveyor in Pictou County, NS. He is listed in directories and recorded to have surveyed maps from approximately 1840 onward. John was born in 1795 in Scotland, although his arrival date in Nova Scotia is unknown. He married Isabella Ross and had six sons between 1848 and 1866. John died January 27, 1880 in River John, Nova Scotia.

Henderson, Dougald, 1844–1910

  • Person
  • 1844–1910

Architect, carpenter
Born at River John, Pictou County to parents John and Catherine Henderson, young Dougald worked for some years at Old Barns, Colchester County on the interior carpentry and finishing of vessels built on the Cobequid shore. He married Adelaide Wilson at Clifton on January 1, 1873.
Around 1885 they moved to Truro, where Dougald first worked as a carpenter. It is unclear at what point he acquired his draughting skill, but in 1896 Henderson was receiving tenders as the architect of the Presbyterian Church in Belmont. In 1897 he operated a cabinetmaking business in Truro and is called “the town architect” in connection with the plans for a church hall, and he was also supervising architect for the construction. A $30 invoice for building plans and specifications for J.D. Murray Crockett for 82 Arthur Street revealed his business office to be on Revere St., Truro in 1904. His business met with great success, and his obituary recalls that Henderson designed some of the best residences in Truro, among them the Crockett House, one for the Stanfield family as well as several public buildings. He also designed Great Village School, opened in 1904.
A member of the First Presbyterian Church, Dougald Henderson had a kind, genial way and was said to be “willing to assist unobtrusively in every good cause”. He continued to practice in Truro until his death at his Park Street home in September 1910. Buried in Clifton, he was survived by his wife, a son in Winnipeg, and a daughter on the faulty of the Maritime Business College in Halifax.

Longworth, Israel, 1835–1902

  • Person
  • 1835–1902

Lawyer, Author. Born in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Israel Longworth was the son of Robert Longworth, a successful ship builder. Married to Mary Starr, they had eight children, however seven died in a diphtheria epidemic in 1876 and daughter Marion was the only surviving child. Educated at Mount Allison University, he worked in Halifax until he became a student of law with Sir Adams Archibald. He was admitted to the Bar in1861, and set up a practice in Truro, NS. During his term as Truro’s second Mayor in 1878 -79, the town reservoir was opened and fire bells were installed. He was the author of several books and papers on historical subjects – his History of Colchester County has been reprinted. In religion he was Methodist and is buried in the Robie Street Cemetery, Truro, NS.

Marsh, Captain Jonathan Borden, 1841–1934

  • Person
  • 1841–1934

Master Mariner (Captain Bird). Born in Economy, Colchester County, NS, he was the son of Jacob and Janet (McLellan) Marsh, being one of a family of fifteen. Married to Christina Monroe and later to Josephine (Hutton) Culgin, his children were Helen (Nellie), Jane (born at sea in a gale), Mary Telfer, William Campbell, and John (Dr.). He attended school in Central Economy and went to sea at the age of twelve as a cook on a coaster. He crossed the Atlantic for the first time when he was fourteen years of age. Captain Marsh acquired his first command when he was twenty one. She was the Economy owned and built Ellen Layton. In 1868 Captain Marsh was Master of the brigantine Cleo and braved many harrowing journeys on the sea. In 1871 Captain Marsh was master of the ship hired to search for the “lost” missionary, Dr. David Livingstone. The Marsh Family were at Tagish in the Yukon Territory in 1900, where Capt. Marsh commanded river steamers on the Yukon River. He retired in 1912 to Economy, but was called out of retirement to take over the Truro Queen in 1918. He was seventy nine years old, but his skill as a navigator was still very evident. He finally retired in 1920. During his years he commanded twenty ships and could boast that he never lost one. Deeply religious and a member of the United Church of Canada, he never smoked nor drank and never carried a firearm while at sea. He is buried in the Ecomony Cemetery, Colchester County, NS.

Results 1 to 10 of 26