Born in London, England, E. D. Vernon and his mother and two brothers came to Canada and lived in Salmon River, Colchester County, near what is known as Vernon Bridge. He first married Ella Thomas, then Annie Dodson, and then Myra Barnes. His children were David, Jack, Russell and Dorothy.
Ernest received his general education in England where he passed his matriculation for Oxford. After locating in Truro he went to Halifax where for several years he studied architecture. He did his thesis on the gates of the Halifax Public Gardens. In early 1892, Ernest D. Vernon advertised architectural and draughting services and opened an office on Prince Street in July of that year. .
In 1911 he built the large brick store at 802 Prince Street and started a furniture business there, of which he was manager. His involvement with Vernon & Co Ltd. continued for the rest of his life, concurrently with his architectural practice. His plans of the new store for Vernon Furniture Co., several buildings of the Nova Scotia Residential Centre (then called the Maritime Home for Girls), the Central Fire Hall with Extension (1915), St. John’s Parish Hall (1916), Alice Street School (1920), Colchester County Hospital (1925), a modern residence on Victoria St. For W. H. Faltenhine (1938) as well as the residence of Frank Stanfield at 38 Dominion St., are a few examples of his work.
Ernest Vernon was a member of the St. John’s Church of England and is buried in Terrace Hill Cemetery, Truro, NS