Conrad was born February 15, 1943 in Parrsboro.
Conrad was born February 15, 1943 in Parrsboro.
C. Blair Morrow of Lower Sackville, Nova Scotia, was born 18 July 1937 to Bill and Florence Morrow in Prince Edward Island and grew up in Fairview subdivision of Halifax, NS. He married Lorraine Morrow and had 2 sons Kale and Robbie. He was employed in the road construction industry all his life, worked at various times with Warnock Hersey, SNC Lavalin, Jacques Whitford and Stantech, mostly on concrete supports for bridges. He enjoyed coaching hockey and baseball, researching genealogy and taking photographs of the iron bridges he worked on. He died 3 September 2016 in Lower Sackville, NS.
Ruby Lillian Kaiser was born in Sonora, Guysborough County, Nova Scotia in 1930. The daughter of Asa and Edna (Burns) Jordan, she had five siblings. Ruby held a life-long interest in the local history and geneaology of Sonora and area, and collected relevant photographs, newspaper clippings, obituaries, memorials, and other geneaology records. She was a member of Sonora Baptist Church, the Sonora branch of the Women’s Institute of Nova Scotia, Women’s Baptist Missionary Society, and the St. Mary’s Garden Club. She married Victor Kaiser in 1953 and they had three children.
Allan Everett Marble, retired professor, author and researcher, was born in Truro, Nova Scotia in 1939 and educated at Colchester County Academy, Dartmouth High School and Dalhousie University, graduating with a doctorate degree in the early 1960s. From 1963 to 1966 he was a Lieutenant in the Royal Canadian Army. Starting in 1967, he taught at universities in Nova Scotia for over 40 years in the fields of physics, mathematics, surgery, and biomedical engineering, retired in 2010. In addition to teaching, Dr. Marble was actively involved in medical research with a focus on the cardiovascular system. His other research interests included the history of Nova Scotia and genealogy. He has written several books on the history of medicine in Nova Scotia, as well as biographies of early medical practitioners for the Dictionary of Canadian Biography. Dr. Marble is a certified genealogist for Canada, was President of the Genealogical Association of Nova Scotia in the 1990s and again 2010-2015, and a founding member of the Genealogical Institute of the Maritimes in 1982. He also served on the executives of the Royal Nova Scotia Historical Society 1978-1982 and the Dalhousie Society for the History of Medicine 1986-1993, and in 2016-2017 was chair of the Medical History Society of Nova Scotia.
Capt. John McDaniel (1816 – 1882) was the second son of Henry McDaniel (1787 – 1842) and Catherine (Umlah / Hemlow) McDaniel (1795 – 1868). John McDaniel and his brother James ran a regular packet service, and in 1864-5, “ John McDaniel and Co.” ran two schooners, between Halifax and Sherbrooke. John held many public offices in Sherbrooke (River Pilot, Inspector of Weights and Measures, Fish Inspector, Beef and Pork Inspector, Coal Measurer, Trustee of Booms, Trustee and later Commissioner of the Court House and Jail, sat on the Grand Jury, and later was a Magistrate, and Judge of the Court of Probate).
He established two ferry services, one across Wine Harbour to the gold diggings (1862) and the other across the St. Mary’s River below Sherbrooke, connecting Sherbrooke to the Goldenville mining district. He established a dock on his land on the western bank of the St. Mary’s River and worked to have a road opened between his wharf and the main road to Goldenville, then instituted a ferry service across the river.
He established McDaniel’s Hotel (Sherbrooke Hotel) ca 1863, in the village of Sherbrooke. He operated a carriage service to transport guests from the dock to the hotel. He operated a store, had a stable and wagon shed, ran a livery service and transported freight from the wharf to his store and made deliveries to Antigonish. John McDaniel married Mary Bent, daughter of William Bent (also known as William Trowbridge).
The St. Mary's Genealogy Research Centre at Sherbrooke Village was founded in 2011 by a group of community-based genealogists and local historians in response to the need to provide a place to collect, preserve, and share historic records and resources of the St. Mary's municipal area (the western portion of Guysborough County). Included in its holdings are genealogy and archival materials gathered and donated to Sherbrooke Village over many years. The mandate of the SMGRC is to:
–– acquire primary and secondary records which will aid in the research of the genealogical, social, business, and natural history of the Municipality of the District of St. Mary’s;
–– preserve and organize archival materials and published materials using the most current standards;
–– provide members and the general public with efficient access to the Research Centre’s holdings through finding aids and other search tools;
–– respond to reference questions and aid researchers in their objective.
Sherbrooke Village Restoration grew from a citizens’ movement to preserve the historic streetscape of the village of Sherbrooke, NS in the mid-1960s. In 1969, the Sherbrooke Restoration Act was passed in the Nova Scotia Legislature. This Act appointed the Sherbrooke Restoration Commission as the body responsible for administering regulations on the orderly restoration and development of a large historic area in the village of Sherbrooke, creating a living history museum. The Commission became the body responsible for making decisions on any and all development issues in the historic area. Their decisions, based on the powers provided by the Sherbrooke Restoration Commission Act, supersede any provincial or municipal law within the designated area. Sherbrooke Village Restoration is administered by the Sherbrooke Restoration Commission under the direction of the Nova Scotia Museum, part of the Nova Scotia Department of Communities, Culture, and Heritage. In 1970, restoration of buildings began and the first visitors were welcomed in 1971.