Showing 26 results

Authority record
Colchester Historical Society

Patterson, Hon. Mr. Justice Frank Harris, 1891-1976

  • Person
  • 1891 - 1976

K.C., LL.B., D.C.L., Lawyer, Judge, Author.
Born in Tatamagouche, Colchester County, NS, son of William and Elizabeth (Campbell) Patterson, his great grandfather came to Pictou from Linwood, Scotland on the Hector in 1773. In 1925 he married Ina MacNee and they had two daughters: Edith and Mary. He was educated at Pictou Academy and Dalhousie University. He practiced law in Yarmouth before moving to Truro where he continued to practice. In 1958, he was appointed as Judge of the Supreme Court of Nova Scotia, retiring in 1965. He was very active in writing the history of Pictou and Colchester Counties and in this regard authored several books. Mr. Justice Patterson was President of the Nova Scotia Historical Society from 1960 to 1963. He died in Truro, NS.

Mosher, George, 1842-1919

  • Person
  • 1842-1919

Mechanical Engineer, Draftsman, Patent Attorney
George Mosher was born in Newport Corner, Hants County, NS on August 13, 1842. He married Lucinda Weir in 1885 and had two children Ruth and Eugene.
He was a mechanical engineer, draftsman “all his life” and also a registered Patent Attorney. He often drew the inventions of his clients and then applied for patents both in the United States and Canada. Although most of his educational history is unknown, he did receive a Diploma in Mechanical Drawing from the Boston Public Schools Free Evening Industrial Drawing Program which he attended for two years (1883 and 1884).
He built a new home in Truro in 1890 at 77 King Street which was Gothic Revival in style and he used the front facing tower as a draftsman’s shop.
He was a Presbyterian and is buried in the Robie Street Cemetery, Truro, NS.

Morris, John Spry

  • Person
  • 1831-1851

Surveyor General
The Morris family practiced surveying through at least four generations: Charles Morris, Charles Morris II (1711 – 1781), Charles Morris III (1759-1831), and John Spry Morris (one of fifteen children born in Halifax, NS after 1786.)
In April 1831 Charles Morris III was replaced by his son John Spry, who served as Surveyor General of Nova Scotia until the office was merged with that of commissioner of crown lands in 1851. The Morris family thus held the position of Surveyor General of Nova Scotia for its entire existence, a continuity of service rivalled only by that of the Wrights of Prince Edward Island.

Byers, Robert L.

  • Person
  • 1867

Robert L. Byers was a Deputy Surveyor for the County of Colchester, Nova Scotia and listed in the 1867 Directory.

Archibald, Isaac N.

  • Person
  • 1867

Isaac N. Archibald was a Deputy Surveyor for the County of Colchester, Nova Scotia and is listed in the 1867 Directory.

Vernon & Company

  • Corporate body
  • 1911

As described in a Truro 1915 promotional booklet: "The Vernon Building, occupied by Vernon & Company, furniture and carpet dealers, was erected in 1911 and comprises three stories and basement 70 x 62 feet, heated by steam and lighted by electricity. The firm in addition to furniture, carpets, rugs and linoleums, handles refrigerators, baby carriages and sleighs, trunks, gramophones, and records, wall paper, curtains, draperies, mattresses and other household articles. Connected to the store is a two and one-half story warehouse utilized not only to store goods, but also for manufacturing mattresses and doing upholstering. The business has been extended throughout the Province by liberal newspaper advertising and by a large and profusely illustrated Mail Order Catalogue, issued from time to time, with cuts of all that is newest and best in the lines they handle, augmented by a free delivery system by which they prepay freight to any part of the Maritime Provinces, as a further inducement to attract trade."

Stanfield, Frank, 1872-1931

  • Person
  • 1872-1931

Manufacturer, Lieutenant Governor. Born in Truro, Nova Scotia, Frank was the son of Charles and Lydia (Dawson) Stanfield. His father came from Prince Edward Island from Yorkshire, England in 1855, then to Truro in 1866. Frank Stanfield was an Anglican who married in 1901 to Sarah Thomas and had five children: Robert, Charles, Frank, Gordon and Kathryn. He was an executive in the Stanfield Mills in Truro. From 1911 to 1920 and from 1925 to 1928, Frank Stanfield represented Colchester County in the Nova Scotia Legislature as a Conservative. In 1930 he was appointed Lieutenant Governor of the Province. He died in 1931, while still in office. His home at 38 Dominion Street was designed by well known architect E. D. Vernon of Truro.

Vernon, Ernest Daniel, 1872–1941

  • Person
  • 1872-1941

Architect, Merchant
Born in London, England, E. D. Vernon and his mother and two brothers came to Canada and lived in Salmon River, Colchester County, near what is known as Vernon Bridge. He first married Ella Thomas, then Annie Dodson, and then Myra Barnes. His children were David, Jack, Russell and Dorothy.
Ernest received his general education in England where he passed his matriculation for Oxford. After locating in Truro he went to Halifax where for several years he studied architecture. He did his thesis on the gates of the Halifax Public Gardens. In early 1892, Ernest D. Vernon advertised architectural and draughting services and opened an office on Prince Street in July of that year. .
In 1911 he built the large brick store at 802 Prince Street and started a furniture business there, of which he was manager. His involvement with Vernon & Co Ltd. continued for the rest of his life, concurrently with his architectural practice. His plans of the new store for Vernon Furniture Co., several buildings of the Nova Scotia Residential Centre (then called the Maritime Home for Girls), the Central Fire Hall with Extension (1915), St. John’s Parish Hall (1916), Alice Street School (1920), Colchester County Hospital (1925), a modern residence on Victoria St. For W. H. Faltenhine (1938) as well as the residence of Frank Stanfield at 38 Dominion St., are a few examples of his work.
Ernest Vernon was a member of the St. John’s Church of England and is buried in Terrace Hill Cemetery, Truro, NS

Marsh, Captain Jonathan Borden, 1841–1934

  • Person
  • 1841–1934

Master Mariner (Captain Bird). Born in Economy, Colchester County, NS, he was the son of Jacob and Janet (McLellan) Marsh, being one of a family of fifteen. Married to Christina Monroe and later to Josephine (Hutton) Culgin, his children were Helen (Nellie), Jane (born at sea in a gale), Mary Telfer, William Campbell, and John (Dr.). He attended school in Central Economy and went to sea at the age of twelve as a cook on a coaster. He crossed the Atlantic for the first time when he was fourteen years of age. Captain Marsh acquired his first command when he was twenty one. She was the Economy owned and built Ellen Layton. In 1868 Captain Marsh was Master of the brigantine Cleo and braved many harrowing journeys on the sea. In 1871 Captain Marsh was master of the ship hired to search for the “lost” missionary, Dr. David Livingstone. The Marsh Family were at Tagish in the Yukon Territory in 1900, where Capt. Marsh commanded river steamers on the Yukon River. He retired in 1912 to Economy, but was called out of retirement to take over the Truro Queen in 1918. He was seventy nine years old, but his skill as a navigator was still very evident. He finally retired in 1920. During his years he commanded twenty ships and could boast that he never lost one. Deeply religious and a member of the United Church of Canada, he never smoked nor drank and never carried a firearm while at sea. He is buried in the Ecomony Cemetery, Colchester County, NS.

Busch, Henry Frederick, 1825–1902

  • Person
  • 1825–1902

Architect
Born in Hamburg, Germany, into a Lutheran family, Henry Frederick Busch travelled in Austria and in Russian-occupied Poland and spent about ten years in the United States, probably getting some architectural training there. Thus acquainted with the architecture of both the old world and the new, he came to Nova Scotia to visit his uncle Charles Walters, a boat builder in Chester, and married Mary Victoria, the daughter of a Captain Skinner.
Engaged as a draughtsman by architect Henry Elliot in 1861, Busch supervised the construction of the Union Marine Insurance building in Halifax. He became a partner in the firm of Elliot & Busch in 1864. In 1876, the partners separated, although they remained in the same Union Marine Building on Bedford Row, Halifax.
By the mid-1870’s, the Second Empire style had reached Nova Scotia, and Henry Busch became its foremost exponent. His work can be seen in the Halifax Academy Building (1878), the Halifax Dispensary (c.1880), The Old Ladies Home, the J. Wesley Smith House (1878), and the bandstand in the Halifax Public Gardens. His design for the Normal School at Truro (1877) is considered an exemplary adaption of the style and was chosen in a Parks Canada publication on the Second Empire style to illustrate its influence in Nova Scotia.
Henry F. Busch was naturalized in1874. He had acquired considerably property. Two of his sons were trained in the Busch Office. When he died in1902, survived by his wife, five children and his uncle Charles Walters, his estate was valued at $145,000. He had been a prominent architect for forty years, much esteemed also by contractors. His practice passed to his son Walter Johannes Busch.

Results 1 to 10 of 26