David William Jones was born 18 May 1872 at Rhyd-ddu, Caernarvonshire, North Wales. Jones married Catherine Mary Illiams in 1905. The couple emigrated to Newfoundland in the early 1900s and in 1913 settled in North Sydney, N.S. In 1914 Jones became the foreman of the Port Hood Greetings newspaper. Following the death of Greetings owner D.F. McLean, Jones became the newspaper's proprietor and editor. Jones also did printing work for local businesses and residents. The Greetings was sold to the News Publishing Company of Truro in 1926. Jones accepted a job with the News in Truro, but returned to Port Hood when the job was not successful. Soon after his return to Port Hood, a group of businessmen founded another newspaper, the Inverness County Guardian, and Jones was appointed operator. Unfortunately the Guardian closed during the Depression after a short print run. Jones continued his commercial printing business, working for the county, town, and local businessmen and professionals. In the mid 1930s, Jones built a small shop adjacent to his house for his business named The Only Jones -Printer. David Jones remained in business until his death in June 1949.