Title and statement of responsibility area
Administrative records of the Oil, Chemical, and Atomic Workers' International Union, Local 9-825
General material designation
- Graphic material
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
4 cm of textual records (3 folders)
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Oil, Chemical and Atomic Workers Union (OCAW) was founded as the International Association of Oil Field, Gas Well, and Refinery Workers of America in 1918 after a major strike in the Texas oil fields in late 1917. Local 9-825 was chartered by the Oil Chemical and Atomic Workers' International Union on February 17, 1969. However, this local was founded on February 1, 1942 when the International Longshoremen Association (ILA) organized the employees of S. Cunard & Co. For many years, the ILA represented the employees of S. Cunard & Co. Ltd., Archibald Coal & Dominion Coal. As oil became more prominent than coal, a feeling of separation began to emerge amongst the members. Oil workers wanted their own union because they felt that they had little in common with the members of the ILA. A separation took place in 1964 and Local 9-825 was chartered by the Oil Chemical and Atomic Workers' International Union in 1969.
All material was donated to the Dalhousie University Archives by John H. Yates in 1977.
Scope and content
Accession includes the minute book from the founding year of 1942 until 1955, collective agreements between the Oil Chemical and Atomic Workers' International Union and S. Cunard & Co. Ltd, E.S.F. Ltd, and Archibald Fuels Ltd. Also included in this fonds are photographs of picket lines, and floats, as well as local publications issued by the Oil Chemical and Atomic Workers' International Union Local 9-825 to all of its current members. The fonds also includes sample meeting posters for the union meetings, a membership request slip for Local 546, and a document from the Hon. Clarence Llyod Gosse to John Yates regarding his membership to the Provincial Apprenticeship Board.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script note
Location of originals
The minute book and scrap book are missing.
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no access restrictions on these materials. All materials are open for research.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Materials do not circulate and must be used in the Archives and Special Collections Reading Room. Materials may be under copyright. Contact departmental staff for guidance on reproduction.
No further accruals expected.
Preferred citation: [Identification of item], Oil, Chemical, and Atomic Workers' International Union fonds, MS-9-7, Box [box number], Folder [folder number], Dalhousie University Archives, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.
Standard number area
Name access points
Genre access points
This accession description comes from the Dalhousie University Archives Catalog. The complete, original description is available there.