Ajax Hospitality Headquarters collection

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Ajax Hospitality Headquarters collection

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Microfilm reel 14,654

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • Microfilmed circa 1983. (Creation)
    Creator
    Ajax Hospitality Headquarters (Halifax, N.S.)

Physical description area

Physical description

1 microfilm reel

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1942-1945)

Administrative history

Ajax Hospitality Headquarters was established in 1942 and was located at 90 Spring Garden Road in Halifax, Nova Scotia. As the chair was Mrs. Janet E. McEuen, the organization is believed to have arisen out of the demise of the former Ajax Club, which she also chaired. The aim of the organization was to provide temporary sanctuary to men of the Royal Navy, the Fleet Air Arm and British Military Forces who armed the defensive equipment of the merchant ships. The men registered in Halifax and were sorted into groups that were sent out to smaller Nova Scotia communities. The following are the locations involved in the program and the dates they began to be active: Hantsport, (ca. 1943), Chester (August 1943), Musquodoboit Harbour (27 June 1944), Shubenacadie (6 July 1944), Sheet Harbour (23 August 1944), and Wolfville (1 January 1945). The project was also spearheaded by Financial Campaign Committee chairman, J. McGregor Stewart. They were aided further by similar financial committees in Ontario and Quebec. During 1944 the office in Halifax welcomed 25,184 visitors, according to its guest book. The operations of the organization are believed to have concluded with the end of the war in 1945.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Collection consists of records relating to the organization, 1944-1945, including reports, address books of servicemen, and notebooks with comments from the Harvie family of Hantsport, Nova Scotia.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Borrowed for microfilming from Mrs. L.B. Harvie of Hantsport, Nova Scotia ca.1983.

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Associated materials

Edith Girouard fonds MG 1 Vol. 3359; Isabel Macneill fond, Series 2 - Navy MG 1 Vol. 3648 File 14; MG 100 Vol. 71 File 50; Ajax Club collection, microfilm reel 14,653.

Related materials

Accruals

General note

Microfilm Accession no. 1983-001.

General note

Microfilm accession number 1983-001.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres