Arthur John Lockhart

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Arthur John Lockhart

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description


Reference code


Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1913-1923 (Creation)
    Lockhart, Arthur John, 1850-1926

Physical description area

Physical description

2 volumes of textual records.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator


Biographical history

Arthur John Lockhart, born in Lockhartville, Kings County, N.S., was the eldest son of Capt. Nathan Albert Lockhart and Elizabeth Ann (nee Bezanson). Lockhart explained to A.W.H. Eaton that he grew up surrounded by and reading literature. At the age of seventeen, he moved to Wolfville and lived with Mr. Major Theakston, then the editor of the Wolfville Acadian. Not long after he moved to Cambridge, Mass., and worked in the University Press on the publication Every Saturday. Lockhart entered religious life in 1868. By 1871, he was assisting the pastor in St. Andrews, N.B. In 1872, he entered the Methodist Episcopal Conference of Eastern Maine. Lockhart married Adelaide Beckerton of St. Andrews in 1873. For the rest of his life, Rev. Lockhart was the pastor for several communities throughout Maine. (A.W.H. Eaton, The History Of Kings County, 1910)
Lockhart wrote under his own name as well as the pseudenoym of Pastor Felix. Many of his books are in the Library’s Special Collections. A.W.H. Eaton indicates,
Rev. Arthur John Lockhart (“Pastor Felix”), in 1877 published “The Masque of Ministrels”, which contained his own earlier poems and those of his brother, Rev. Burton Wellesley Lockhart, D.D. In 1895 he published a smaller collection of verse entitled, “Beside the Narraguagus, and Other Poems” ; and in 1910, “The Birds of the Cross, and Other Poems”. He is also the author of a volume of miscellanies in prose and verse, entitled “The Papers of Pastor Felix”, issued in 1903. (A History of Kings County, 1910, 401)

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of two volumes of Lockhart's The Harp of Acadia; An Anthology. Largely the Writings in Verse of Authors Reared in the Maritime Provinces; Describing and Celebrating Their Country.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition


Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Digital records not available.

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Records subject to the Copyright Act.

Associated materials

Related materials


Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area


Accession area