Title and statement of responsibility area
Brooklyn Division, Sons of Temperance of Nova Scotia fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
30 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Brooklyn Division was originally formed in 1866 (originally known as Star in the East Lodge), as part of The International Order of Good Templars. In 1883 the Society changed its affiliation to become a division of the Sons of Temperance. The Brooklyn Division of the Sons of Temperance was the last operating division in Yarmouth County, Nova Scotia and closed in 1992. The Brooklyn Temperance Society met in a building that is located on the Brooklyn Road (Brooklyn, Yarmouth County) in proximity to the junction of Highway 101.
The Brooklyn Temperance Society fonds was donated by its' members following its disbandment in 1992. Part of this collection had already been on loan to the Archives and this was subsequently donated to the Yarmouth Museum & Archives at this time.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of minute books and treasurers' books. Also contained in the fonds is a 1938 copy of the constitution, a copy of a centennial book published in 1947, and miscellaneous papers. The fifteen minute books include the years 1866 to 1992 - from the society's inception to closing. Unfortunately some pages of the earlier books have brief sections cut out. The six treasurers' books cover the dates 1917 to 1975, however they are not complete.
Includes 21 ledgers.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Finding aid available.
See also the records of the Anna R. Braedor Division fonds, Argyle Township Court House Archives; Lily of the Valley Division fonds, Old Kings Court House Museum; Tatamagouche Division fonds, North Shore Archives; Linden Division, North Cumberland Historical Soceity; and Temple Division fonds, North Cumberland Historical Society.
The museum has artifacts pertaining to the society which were donated at the same time of the donation to the archives.