Title and statement of responsibility area
C.G. Lightship Lurcher (ship) fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1909-1995, photocopied ca. 1990. (Creation)
- C.G. Lurcher (ship)
Physical description area
- 11 cm of textual records
- 1 technical drawing
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
A lightship was stationed at Lurcher Shoal, Yarmouth County, Nova Scotia, to assist in the safe guiding of passing vessels. A point of land did not exist to support a light house so a vessel with a light was moored near the shoal. The first lightship, Lurcher No. 14 began service circa 1906, commanded by Captain Fred Nickerson. In 1951 the first lightship was replaced by No. 2, commanded by Captain Leazon Maillet. Since that time vessels were repeatedly replaced: 1959, Lightship No. 2; 1960 Lightship No. 4 (launched originally as the Cartaraqui). In 1969 the last of the lightships at Lurcher Shoal, and the last in Canada, was retired. An automatic buoy replaced the vessel. Following the retirement of the last Lurcher the vessel was used for various Canadian Coast guard training and exercises. In 1995 the Canadian built vessel was sold to an American company.
The 1909-1910 log was purchased by YCMA from Robin Wyllie of Bridgewater N.S. in 1998. The custodial history for the remaining records is unknown.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of 4 masters' log (the 1909-1910 log is a photocopy) used to record weather, a description of passing vessels, amount of coal used and engine pressure; correspondence and documents regarding the sale of No. 2; and one plan regarding the refitting of the Cartaraqui.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
The original copy of the 1909-1910 log book is owned by Robin Wylie. Y MS 59 5, Y MS 6 97, Y MS 9 10.
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Photographs of the vessels can be found in the Bob Brooks fonds, YCMA.
A photocopy of a scrapbook of photographs, logs and correspondence kept by Lurcher crew member Sam Nickerson can be found in Y MS 6 97.Search for an image for the Lurcher crew on the ArchWay Photographic Database.