Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
1930-10-31 - 1974
The Capitol Theatre opened its doors on Barrington Street at the foot of Spring Garden Road, on October 31, 1930. Known for its extravagant architecture and lush decor, the theatre was very popular in the hey-dey of cinema. The Capitol Buildng was built by Brookfield construction and also housed Maritime Telegraph and Telephone Company offices and a shoe store. It was demolished in 1974 by MT&T to make room for the Maritime Centre high-rise tower.
Before the Capitol Theatre, the location was the home of the Academy of Music, a music hall which was renamed the Majestic in 1918, then torn down in 1930. It opened in 1877 and was demolished in 1929.
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Access points area
Subject access points
Place access points
Authority record identifier
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Nickerson, Alex. "The 1930s: era of the great 'movie palaces'." The Chronicle Herald, January 11, 1986,
Oostveen, Lauren. "From the Vaults: The Capitol Theatre." October 17, 2009.http://spacingatlantic.ca/2009/10/17/from-the-vaults-the-capitol-theatre/ (accessed June 24, 2011).