Chezzetcook Historical Society fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Chezzetcook Historical Society fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record
  • Graphic material
  • Cartographic material
  • Moving images

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Accession number 2009.018.

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • [ca. 1900]-2008, predominant 1974-2004 (Creation)
    Creator
    Chezzetcook Historical Society

Physical description area

Physical description

82 cm of textual records and other material

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1974-2006)

Administrative history

The Chezzetcook Historical Society was formed by a group of local residents on January 28, 1974 at a meeting at Lakeview Consolidated School, Porters Lake. On February 12, 1974, the Society’s constitution was drafted and it was formally incorporated under the Nova Scotia Societies Act. The stated purpose of the Chezzetcook Historical Society was to “do historical research into the ethnic backgrounds, cultures, genealogies and industries of the people of the area” encompassing Porters Lake, West Chezzetcook, Grand Desert, Seaforth, Three Fathom Harbour, Head Chezzetcook, Conrod’s Settlement, Gaetz Brook, and East Chezzetcook. The Society would also strive to “work towards the permanent recording and publishing of such historical data” and to “make available such material as may be useful to the School Board for setting up a course in local history”. Additional mandates of the Society were to record and collect documents and artifacts of historical significance, to identify, preserve or restore historical sites within the area, to acquire an historical building for use as a museum, and to encourage beautification programs for villages within the area. The Society was comprised of members who paid an annual fee for membership and was administered by an elected Board of Directors which included a maximum of three members plus officers (a President, Vice-President, one or more Secretaries and a Treasurer). The Society was disbanded sometime around 2006.

Custodial history

Due to the fact that the Chezzetcook Historical Society never had a permanent residence, for most of its lifespan the Society’s records and other holdings traveled around between the homes of various members. While residing in the basement of one member, a portion of the records may have sustained water damage from a flood and were possibly discarded. In 2003, Society member Greg LeBlanc took a detailed inventory of the Society’s holdings. The records, artifacts, and published materials owned by the Society were transferred from LeBlanc’s home to the Seaforth Community Hall ca. 2006. While there, another portion of the records may have been damaged by water. The Society's records were transferred to the Eastern Shore Archives in 2009.

Scope and content

Fonds consists of records of the Chezzetcook Historical Society and its members. Textual records were created between about 1900- 1930, 1950- 1955, 1965, and 1974- 2008, but the majority date to between 1974 and 2004.

Fonds includes research material, genealogical information, publications, society records regarding its operation, inventories, maps, and photographs.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Donated by the Chezzetcook Historical Society through its last president Greg LeBlanc in 2009.

Arrangement

Whenever possible, records were arranged in the order in which they were found in their original boxes.

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Open to researchers without restrictions.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Accruals

No further accruals expected.

General note

When appropriate, artifacts donated by the Chezzetcook Historical Society were catalogued in the Artifacts Module and transferred into the care of the Memory Lane Heritage Village. Also, appropriate publications were catalogued in the Research Module and made available in the Reading Room of the Genealogy and Archives Research Centre, while other publications and documents were weeded and disposed of.

Accompanying material

When appropriate, artifacts donated by the Chezzetcook Historical Society were catalogued in the Artifacts Module and transferred into the care of the Memory Lane Heritage Village. Also, appropriate publications were catalogued in the Research Module and made available in the Reading Room of the Genealogy and Archives Research Centre, while other publications and documents were weeded and disposed of.

Conservation

Photocopies were made of documents on thermal paper and in some cases the originals were removed. Photocopies were also made of most small-sized newspaper clippings, in which cases the originals were removed.

Physical description

Includes: 7 maps, 6 photographs, 1 videocassette

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Sources

Digital object (Master) rights area

Digital object (Reference) rights area

Digital object (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area