Clam Bay School memoir

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Clam Bay School memoir

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on content of item.

Level of description

Item

Reference code

Accession number: 2013.057

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 2007 (Creation)
    Creator
    Baker, Brenda (Gavel)

Physical description area

Physical description

3 leaves of textual records.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1949-)

Biographical history

Brenda Joy Gavel was born in November of 1949 and is the daughter of Verna (Turple) and Rex Gould Gavel. She married Barry Baker and they live in Lake Charlotte, NS. Brenda and Barry had two children.

Brenda began attending Clam Bay School in 1955 when she was six years old. The Clam Bay School was a one room building with one teacher and included grades primary to eight. After grade eight, students went to Musquodoboit Harbour School.

In February of 1959, the Clam Bay schoolhouse burnt to the ground and students were sent to Robert Jamison School for the remainder of the year. That summer, the Upper Lakeville schoolhouse was moved to Clam Bay, however the school trustees were unable to find a teacher for the 1961-1962 school year and students had to be sent to the Clam Harbour School and subsequently to Harbourside School in Owl’s Head when it opened. The building was last used as a school in 1961, after which time it was used a community hall where card parties, dances, church and youth activities were held.

Teachers who taught at the school between 1955 and 1961 included Barbara Turple, Ronald Hollett, Mavis Turple, Annie MacNaught, Mrs. Reg (Marguerite Mosher) Webber, Verna Gavel, and Miss Lamb.

Custodial history

Records were donated to the Eastern Shore Archives by Brenda (Gavel) Baker sometime in or after 2007.

Scope and content

Item consists of a handwritten account written by Brenda Baker about the history of the school, those who taught there during her time as a student, and the day that the schoolhouse burned down.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Donated by Brenda Baker.

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Open to researchers without restrictions.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals are expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Sources

Stevens, Robert Kim (2005). Eastern Shore families: Genealogical notes on Musquodoboit Harbour including the localities of Musquodoboit Harbour, Smith Settlement, Ostrea Lake, Pleasant Point. Lake Charlotte: Maritime Imprints

Digital object (Master) rights area

Digital object (Reference) rights area

Digital object (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres