Clam Harbour Ladies Sewing Circle minute book

Original Digital object not accessible

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Clam Harbour Ladies Sewing Circle minute book

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on content of item.

Level of description

Item

Reference code

Accession number: 2013.034

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1950-1952 (Creation)
    Creator
    Clam Harbour Ladies Sewing Circle
    Place
    Clam Harbour (N.S.)

Physical description area

Physical description

Item consists of one minute book, 30 p. ; 23 x 18 cm

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(ca. 1950- ?)

Administrative history

The Clam Harbour Ladies Sewing Circle was likely formed around March, 1950. If this is the case, Mrs. Aubrey (Eliza Harvey) Homans was the first president and held the position from 1950 to 1952 at which time she was succeeded by Mrs. James Stevens. Mrs. Robert MacKintosh served as Vice President from 1950 to 1952 and then served jointly with Mrs. Aubrey Homans. Muriel Stevens (Mrs. Alfred Stevens) served as secretary from 1950 to 1952 and the entire contents of the book were recorded by her except for several meetings when she was absent. She was succeeded as secretary by Mrs. Roy (Laura Stoddard) Sanford. Mrs. John Homans remained treasurer throughout and was re-elected in 1952.

The Sewing Circle raised money through various fundraisers such as dances, suppers, and sales of goods. Often, the ladies of the Sewing Circle donated the food and goods for these events but other people also donated to their causes. Portions of the proceeds from such fundraisers were presumably donated to worthy causes, as in the entry for June 20, 1951 which records that a letter was sent to the Sewing Circle from the Musquodoboit Harbour Ladies Aid, requesting aid with purchasing new furniture for the Manse, and ten dollars was donated to their cause. The Sewing Circle had approximately twenty members but only between eight to eleven were in attendance regularly.

Custodial history

The item was donated to the Eastern Shore Archives by Robert Cook. His grandmother was Lola (Stoddard) Fogo. She was the daughter of Hannah Palmer and Walter Edward Stoddard, and sister of Laura F. (Stoddard) Sanford. She was born in the old Stoddard Hotel and owned the house that was built by Fanning Stoddard c. 1810 and located between the beach and the old Stoddard Hotel. She owned the property from the late 1940s to the late 1960s when she passed away. The house was later destroyed by arson in 1994. Lola was a seasonal resident of Clam Harbour during the years that she owned the house, spending her winters in Montreal at the home of Robert Cook’s parents. She was actively engaged in the community, attended the church, and was a member of the sewing circle. Robert found the sewing circle minute book among some of her personal possessions that had been stored [at his parents’ home]. Fortunately, it had been removed from the house in Clam Harbour prior to the fire.

Scope and content

Item consists of one book containing handwritten minutes of the Clam Harbour Ladies Sewing Circle recorded by secretary, Muriel Stevens from 1950 to 1952. Opening pages seem to suggest that the sewing circle was just being formed on March 15, 1950. Minutes record where the meetings were held, members in attendance, election of officials, plans for and outcomes of fundraisers, records of donations, and work done for the Church and Manse both by the Sewing Circle independently and in collaboration with other groups such as the Musquodoboit Harbour Ladies Aid Society. The book also contains an attendance list in the back that includes the names of all the Sewing Circle members.

Notes area

Physical condition

Pages are loose.

Immediate source of acquisition

The item was donated to the Eastern Shore Archives by Robert Cook.

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Open to researchers without restrictions.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals are expected.

Accompanying material

Item was part of a donation that included a Presto Pressure Cooker that has been catalogued separately as an artefact.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Sources

[Clam Harbour Ladies Sewing Circle minute book]. Eastern Shore Archives, Lake Charlotte, NS. 2013O

Digital object (Master) rights area

Digital object (Reference) rights area

Digital object (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres