Colchester County Academy fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Colchester County Academy fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1889-1983 (Creation)
    Creator
    Colchester County Academy (Truro, N.S.)

Physical description area

Physical description


  • 70 cm of textual records
  • ca. 20 photographs

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1841-1970)

Administrative history

Colchester County Academy was founded as one of the original academies provided for by the 1841 County Academy Act. In that year three trustees were appointed and a county school was established in a temporary location on Truro's Walker Street. The academy system required students to pay a fee and upkeep of the school building was provided through provincial grants. In 1857 the academy moved to the Model School, which was affiliated with the Truro Normal School, and became an institution for teachers-in-training to practice teaching. During this time, the school was better know as the Model School, and accepted, primary, intermediate and high school level students. In order to qualify for provincial government grants, the high school department of the Model School was re-organized as the Colchester County Academy, however it was now a public high school and remained in the Model School location. The Academy again changed locations in 1903 when new Academy building was built. In Truro, as elsewhere in Nova Scotia, the county academy system gradually became less relevant as rural schools improved. In 1930, the provincial government extended the county academy grant to all secondary schools in the province and eventually other high school level institutions were constructed elsewhere in the county. By the 1950s, the school was generally referred to as Truro Academy or Truro Senior High School. The school was closed in 1970 and its students were transferred to the new Cobequid Educational Centre.

Custodial history

Student registers and class photographs were donated by Michael Hansen, Principal of Cobequid Educational Centre on 21 November 1996. Within this accession were the records of the Willow Street School. The custodial history of the remaining records is unknown.

Scope and content

Notes area

Physical condition

Includes 16 ledgers.

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres