Colchester County Academy fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Colchester County Academy fonds

General material designation

    Parallel title

    Other title information

    Title statements of responsibility

    Title notes

    Level of description

    Fonds

    Reference code

    Edition area

    Edition statement

    Edition statement of responsibility

    Class of material specific details area

    Statement of scale (cartographic)

    Statement of projection (cartographic)

    Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

    Statement of scale (architectural)

    Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

    Dates of creation area

    Date(s)

    • 1889-1983 (Creation)
      Creator
      Colchester County Academy (Truro, N.S.)

    Physical description area

    Physical description

    • 70 cm of textual records
    • ca. 20 photographs

    Publisher's series area

    Title proper of publisher's series

    Parallel titles of publisher's series

    Other title information of publisher's series

    Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

    Numbering within publisher's series

    Note on publisher's series

    Archival description area

    Name of creator

    (1841-1970)

    Administrative history

    Colchester County Academy was founded as one of the original academies provided for by the 1841 County Academy Act. In that year three trustees were appointed and a county school was established in a temporary location on Truro's Walker Street. The academy system required students to pay a fee and upkeep of the school building was provided through provincial grants. In 1857 the academy moved to the Model School, which was affiliated with the Truro Normal School, and became an institution for teachers-in-training to practice teaching. During this time, the school was better know as the Model School, and accepted, primary, intermediate and high school level students. In order to qualify for provincial government grants, the high school department of the Model School was re-organized as the Colchester County Academy, however it was now a public high school and remained in the Model School location. The Academy again changed locations in 1903 when new Academy building was built. In Truro, as elsewhere in Nova Scotia, the county academy system gradually became less relevant as rural schools improved. In 1930, the provincial government extended the county academy grant to all secondary schools in the province and eventually other high school level institutions were constructed elsewhere in the county. By the 1950s, the school was generally referred to as Truro Academy or Truro Senior High School. The school was closed in 1970 and its students were transferred to the new Cobequid Educational Centre.

    Custodial history

    Student registers and class photographs were donated by Michael Hansen, Principal of Cobequid Educational Centre on 21 November 1996. Within this accession were the records of the Willow Street School. The custodial history of the remaining records is unknown.

    Scope and content

    Notes area

    Physical condition

    Includes 16 ledgers.

    Immediate source of acquisition

    Arrangement

    Language of material

      Script of material

        Location of originals

        Availability of other formats

        Restrictions on access

        Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

        Finding aids

        Associated materials

        Related materials

        Accruals

        Alternative identifier(s)

        Standard number

        Standard number

        Access points

        Subject access points

        Place access points

        Name access points

        Genre access points

        Control area

        Sources

        Accession area