Colchester County School Registers fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Colchester County School Registers fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

2023.1

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1868-1986 (Creation)
    Creator
    Nova Scotia Department of Education
    Place
    Nova Scotia

Physical description area

Physical description

44m of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1850-)

Administrative history

In 1850, J. W. Dawson was appointed as the first superintendent of education for the province of Nova Scotia. During his tenure, Dawson encouraged the establishment of free schools. In 1855, Dawson’s successor, Alexander Forrester, established the Provincial Normal College in Truro, for the training of public school teachers and the standardization of school curriculum. The Free School Act of 1864, introduced by Premier Charles Tupper, created a system of free public schools throughout the province. The Education Act of 1864 assigned a school inspector to each of the 18 counties. The act also increased state funding and encouraged local taxation to support public schools, and standardized the classification and examination of students. Over the next hundred years, public school attendance registers fell under the authority of the Halifax-based office variously known as the Educational Department of Nova Scotia (-1894), the Education Department of Nova Scotia (1894-1929), the Nova Scotia Department of Education (1929-1967), and the Minister of Education (1967-). Today, the Nova Scotia Department of Education and Early Childhood Development, as it is known, is responsible for K-12 public school education throughout the province.

Custodial history

160 bankers boxes of school registers were transferred from the Nova Scotia Archives to the Colchester Historical Society in 1999. A small number of additional school registers have been donated throughout the years from various sources.

Scope and content

Fonds contains school registers for Colchester County schools from 1868-1986. Most registers measure 28x44cm or 26x38cm and contain 10-20 pages, though in some cases, only a few pages remain. Registers generally include a list of students' names, along with their sex, age, address, parent or guardians' names, as well as a record of attendance and general standing. Registers have been printed by the Nova Scotia Department of Education and data has been handwritten by the schoolteacher. Registers for the following schools are included: Acadia Mines, Alma, Balfron, Balmoral, Bass River, Bass River Elementary, West Colchester High (Bass River), Bayhead, Beaver Brook, Belmont, College Road (Bible Hill), East Court Road (Bible Hill), Bible Hill Central, Bible Hill Junior High, Birch Hill, Brentwood, Brookfield, Brookfield Memorial, Brookfield Rural High/South Colchester High, Brookfield Junior High, Brule, Brule Point, Burnside, Byers, Camden, Central Economy, Wilson’s (Central New Annan), Central North River, Central Onslow, Parade (Central Onslow), Central Colchester High (Central Onslow), Central Colchester Junior High (Central Onslow), Clifton, Cross Roads, Crowes Mills, Debert, Denmark, East Earltown, East Folly Mountain, East Village, Eastville, Five Islands, Forest Glen, Fort Ellis, French River, Gays River/Pine Grove, Glenholme, Grahamville, Grandview, Great Village, Greek Oak, Greens Creek, Hardwood Hill, Harmony, Hilden/Johnson’s Crossing, Kemptown, Lake Road, Little Bass River, Londonderry, Londonderry Station, Lower Debert, Lower Economy, Boydtown (Lower Five Islands), Lower Onslow, Lower Truro, Lynn, Masstown, Chiganois Elementary (Masstown), McCallum Settlement, Middle Stewiacke, Middle Stewiacke Consolidated, Middleton, Millbrook, Montrose, Mount Pleasant, North River, North River Elementary, Nuttby, Old Barns, Cobequid Consolidated Elementary (Old Barns), Oliver, Otter Brook, Pembroke, Portapique, Portapique Mountain, Princeport, Riversdale, Riverside, Salmon River, Salmon River Central, Maple Leaf (Salmon River), Shubenacadie, Shubenacadie East, Slades, South Branch, Stewiacke, Stewiacke East, Tarbet (Barrachois), Tatamagouche, Conkey’s (Tatamagouche), Tatamagouche Rural High/North Colchester High, Tatamagouche Elementary, Tatamagouche Bay, The Falls, Truro, Victoria Street (Truro), Willow Street (Truro), Alice Street (Truro), Colchester Academy (Truro), Centre (Truro), Princess Margaret Rose (Truro), Truro Senior High, Douglas Street (Truro), Central Junior High (Truro), Central Elementary (Truro), St. Mary’s Elementary (Truro), Truro Regional Vocational/Colchester Regional Vocational, Cobequid Educational Centre (Truro), Truro Junior High, Prince Street (Truro), Upper Belmont, Upper Economy, Upper North River, Upper Onslow, Upper Pleasant Valley, Upper Stewiacke, Valley, Forest (Waldegrave), Murphy’s (Waugh’s River), West Folly Mountain, McLeod’s (West New Annan), West St. Andrews, and West Tatamagouche.

Notes area

Physical condition

Some registers are in poor physical condition: pages are unbound, tattered, or missing.

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

    Script of material

      Location of originals

      Availability of other formats

      High resolution images may be available for registers 100 years or older. Contact Colchester Historical Society.

      Restrictions on access

      School registers 100 years and older are considered open, and are accessible to the public. School registers less than 100 years old are considered restricted, and access may be permitted on a case-by-case basis, by request only. Contact Colchester Historical Society for more information.

      Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

      Finding aids

      Associated materials

      Related materials

      Accruals

      Further accruals are possible.

      Alternative identifier(s)

      Standard number

      Standard number

      Access points

      Subject access points

      Place access points

      Name access points

      Genre access points

      Control area

      Sources

      Accession area