Court of General Sessions, District of the County of Colchester fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Court of General Sessions, District of the County of Colchester fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1820-1899 (Creation)
    Creator
    Nova Scotia. Court of General Sessions of the Peace (District of the County of Colchester)

Physical description area

Physical description

8.5 cm of textual materials

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1835-1879)

Administrative history

The Colchester region of Nova Scotia was considered part of Halifax County for administrative purposes until 1783, when a provincial statute allowed for the establishment of an Inferior Court of Common Pleas in Onslow Township and a Court of General Sessions of the Peace was appointed shortly thereafter. In 1765, the colonial government in Halifax had passed a law vesting virtually all responsibility for local governance to the Courts of General Sessions of the Peace, effectively sweeping aside the New England model of township self-government. The Colchester district encompassed the townships of Economy, Londonderry, Onslow, Truro, Westchester, and River Philip. The District of Colchester was eventually made a county in 1835. The Courts of General Sessions of the Peace were presided over by appointed Justices of the Peace. A county sheriff, also appointed, served as the Justices' executive officer. From a list of substantial land owners in each Court of Sessions' jurisdiction, the sheriff selected the Court's Grand Jury. Although the Sessions did function as courts of law, typically dealing with petty offences and preliminary hearings, much of their time was devoted to matters of local government, including: the appointment of local officers; licencing of taverns; levying of county and poor rates; control over roads and bridges, prisons and hospitals, and other public works; and hearing petitions on matters of local concern. Some township clerks, who were appointed by the Sessions after 1765, also kept township books recording vital statistics, land records, cattle marks, and township minutes and accounts. This arrangement continued until 1879, when the provincial government passed the County Incorporation Act, which did away with Sessional government. Under this act, the Sessional jurisdiction of the District of the County of Colchester became the Municipality of the County of Colchester.

Custodial history

See series descriptions.

Scope and content

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Sources

Accession area