Dayton School fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Dayton School fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1938-1957 (Creation)
    Creator
    Trustees of School Section Number 24 in the Municipality of Yarmouth (Dayton, N.S.)

Physical description area

Physical description

2 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1880-1958)

Administrative history

The exact founding date of the Dayton School, in Dayton, Yarmouth County, Nova Scotia, is unknown. However, school registers dating from the 1880s and 1890s have been found for a "Middleton School" in School Section No. 35 in Yarmouth County. Although available evidence is inconclusive, it appears that the community of Middleton, Yarmouth County, changed its name to Dayton some time in the 1890s. The school inspector for Yarmouth and Shelburne Counties noted in his report for 1903 that several school sections had changed their names in recent years, at his suggestion, to reflect the names of the post offices serving the sections. Records from the federal Post Office Department indicate that a Dayton post office was opened in Yarmouth County in 1896, although how the department settled on the name "Dayton" is not recorded. In any case, the school registers for the 1900 school year identify the school house in school section No. 35 as "Dayton School," a practice continued in subsequent registers, and by 1904 the section number of the Dayton School had been changed to 24, a number it was to retain until the school's closure. Like all rural public schools, the Dayton School was administered by a sectional Board of Trustees, elected at annual meetings of the section's ratepayers, which was responsible for the financial aspects of the school, such as paying teachers and heating the school, funded by taxes collected from the community. The board also received a municipal grant which they administered. The board consisted of three trustees elected at an annual meeting of the school sections' ratepayers. Pursuant to the provincial Education Act, the trustees operated as a body corporate under the name, "Trustees of School Section Number 24 in the District of Yarmouth." Following the establishment of municipal school boards, responsible for the financial administration of schools in rural municipalities, in the 1940s, the word "District" was replaced with "Municipality". This move to the "larger school unit" was a response to the difficulties which many rural school sections had encountered in meeting their operating costs. School sections retained responsibility for capital expenditures, but as Nova Scotia's public school enrolments soared during the 1950s, small rural school houses like Dayton's became increasingly inadequate to meet the rising demand. The local boards of trustees' powers were steadily eroded as increased responsibilities were given to municipal school boards, and many small school houses closed as larger "consolidated," or "district" schools were opened. Students of high school age attended Yarmouth Academy (which was replaced by Yarmouth Consolidated Memorial High School in 1950) once a bus service was implemented in the 1940s. In 1958 the Dayton School was closed and its students were then sent to the new Hebron Consolidated School. It appears that the Dayton school section's board of trustees remained active until the time of the school's closure.

Custodial history

Custodial history is unknown.

Scope and content

Fonds consists of one minute book which functioned also as a cash book, account book and listed ratepayers and taxes collected.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Y MS 5 13.

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related places

Related genres