Title and statement of responsibility area
Eastern Shore Archives school attendance registers collection
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of collection.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
2003- 2012 (Accumulation)
- Eastern Shore Archives
1891-1987, [ca. 2003] (Creation)
Physical description area
7 m of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
The majority of the registers were transferred from Nova Scotia Archives and Records Management to the Eastern Shore Archives in 2003 and again in 2004. Some registers were also transferred to the Eastern Shore Archives between 2003 and 2008 by a number of different private individuals who had been keeping them. The 1920- 1921 Sheet Harbour Road register was copied and given to the archives around 2003 by Mrs. David (Colleen Crane) MacDonald. The original is held by Mrs. MacDonald, daughter of Anastasia (Murphy) Crane, who taught at the school during the 1920-1921 period. Copies of the 1903-1907 and 1914-1916 West Petpeswick registers and general prescriptions as well as registers, statistics, and prescriptions from Musquodoboit Harbour School from 1901- 1902 were donated to the Easter Shore Archives by the Musquodoboit Harbour Heritage Society in 2012, together with copies of registers from Porters Lake from 1925-28, 1930-31, 1935-36, 1942-43, 1945-46, 1952-53, and 1956-57.
Scope and content
Collection consists of daily attendance registers from various schools along the Eastern Shore of Nova Scotia, accumulated by the Easter Shore Archives. Records were created between 1891 and 1987, and in about 2003.
Registers date from 1891 to 1987 and are usually identified by school name, section number, district or municipality, county, and school year. Some schools have a more complete range of records than others. Information recorded in the registers includes full name of student, date of birth, record of vaccination and inoculations, and name and address of parent or guardian. A variety of additional annual statistics and prescriptions are also included. Most of the registers are arranged by school name and chronologically within each school. Collection also includes a copy of a 1920-1921 register from the Sheet Harbour Road school, produced ca. 2003.
Immediate source of acquisition
Registers were transferred from Nova Scotia Archives and Records Management in 2003 and again in 2004. Registers were also donated by Carl Webber, Twyla Smith, Norma Kennedy in 2003, Pearl Turner in 2007, and Brian and Marlene Doherty in 2004 and 2008. The Sheet Harbour Road school register copy was donated by Mrs. David (Colleen Crane) MacDonald, daughter of Anastasia (Murphy) Crane, teacher at the school during the 1920-1921 period. Records were also donated by the Musquodoboit Harbour Heritage Society in 2012 as part of a larger collection.
Registers from different accessions are arranged separately.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script note
Previously known as Halifax County Regional School Board fonds, School attendance registers series.
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Access to records that are less than 92 years is restricted.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Further accruals are expected. Pleasant Point School registers are awaiting processing.
Schools on the Eastern Shore of Nova Scotia were historically administered by the Eastern District Board of Halifax County, one of three district boards of school commissioners appointed for Halifax County under the provincial government’s 1832 Act for the Encouragement of Schools. Following Nova Scotia’s 1864 Education Act, the eastern district was divided into numbered school sections, each of which had its own school, which was overseen by a board of trustees. In 1942, Halifax County replaced its three district boards with a municipal school board, which was originally divided into about six school districts. The districts were also divided into numbered sections overseen by a board of trustees. In January 1982 the Halifax County – Bedford District School Board was formed from the joining of Halifax County’s Municipal School Board with the Town of Bedford Board of School Commissioners.
The materials from the Musquodoboit Harbour Heritage Society (MHHS) were part of a larger donation made in 2012 when the MHHS transferred all of its archival holdings to the Eastern Shore Archives from the Musquodoboit Harbour Railway Museum. The museum was not mandated to collect archival material. The donation included materials now in the William Ansel Gaetz fonds, Musquodoboit Harbour Heritage Society fonds, Musquodoboit Harbour Tennis Club secretary’s book, David James Vaughan fonds, Stanley F. Flaherty family fonds, and the Eastern Shore District High School fonds.
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
- Webber, E.J. (Edward James), 1897-1963 (Subject)
Genre access points
Digital object metadata