Title and statement of responsibility area
Edgehill School fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Edgehill School (Windsor, N.S.)
Physical description area
2.9 m of textual records and other material
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Church School for Girls, Ltd. was opened at Windsor, Nova Scotia by the Diocese of Nova Scotia and Fredericton and incorporated in 1891. The school was founded for the purpose of giving a high-class education in all subjects, including religious instruction according to the teaching of the Church of England. Teaching was chiefly through lecture. The cornerstone for the school building was laid on 23 June 1891, and the building was erected on "historic Edgehill." There were 27 "charter" students in residence that year, with a staff of six teachers. The affairs of the school were to be managed by a board of seven directors, to be elected by shareholders. A board of nine trustees were in charge of discipline and instruction, and appointment of teaching staff. A new dormitory was erected in 1951. In 1954 the act of incorporation and by-laws were revised, and the school became known as the Edgehill Church School for Girls. In 1967 the school again changed its name from Edgehill Church School for Girls to Edgehill School. In September 1976, Edgehill School and King's College School amalgamated to form King's-Edgehill School. It was not until the "Act to Amalgamate King's College School and Edgehill School as a Body Corporate to be known as King's-Edgehill School" received Royal Assent on June 26th, 1982 that the schools were officially amalgamated. The Edgehill School building was sold to Marnat Properties in August 1980.
Custodial history is unknown.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of: Series - Records of the Board of Governors, Series - Records of the Secretary-Bursar, Series - Acts and by-laws, Series - Records of the Headmistress/Headmaster, Series - Memorabilia, prizes and textbooks, Series - Attendance registers, Series - Calendars and prospectus, Series - Photographs, Series - Films
Includes 7 film reels, 1 postcard, and 15 photographs.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Oversized Box 1, Boxes 1-24, Box 56
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Permission of the chairman of the Board of Governors is required to access some of the material as some material is restricted.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Box list is available.
See also the King's College School fonds, the Edgehill Guild fonds and the King's-Edgehill School fonds.