Edward Alexander “Ned” Harris fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Edward Alexander “Ned” Harris fonds

General material designation

  • Graphic material
  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Repository

Reference code

MBMS-13

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1884-1988 (Creation)
    Creator
    Harris, Edward Alexander “Ned”, 1861-1931

Physical description area

Physical description

3.5 cm of textual records
26 photographs

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1861-1931)

Biographical history

The son of William Critchlow Harris and Sarah Stretch Harris, Edward Alexander “Ned” Harris was born in Charlottetown in 1861. Among his siblings were the painter Robert Harris and the noted architect William Harris. In 1884, following his graduation from King’s College in Windsor, Ned Harris was ordained as a deacon. Soon after, he moved to Mahone Bay, where he was appointed curate to the Reverend W. H. Snyder, the town’s Anglican rector. The following year, Harris was given responsibility for overseeing the two-year construction of a new St. James Church in Mahone Bay, a splendid building designed by his brother William. In 1889, following the death of W.H. Snyder, Harris became the rector of St. James. The following year, he married Florence Jane Zwicker. The couple had two children, Ruth (born in 1893) and Edward (born in 1895), both of whom were home-schooled by their father. Harris remained at St. James, his only parish, until his death in 1931. That same year, his family published The Wells Our Fathers Digged, a small commemorative volume of his sermons. Seventy years later, Harris’s grandson Robert Tuck edited a collection of Ned Harris’s correspondence, Letters from Mahone Bay, 1884-1889.

Custodial history

The bulk of the records were donated to the Mahone Bay Museum in 1988 by Harris’s grandson Canon Robert Tuck (accession numbers: U-054, U-200, U-256, U-313; 06.3.1.13, 07.6.6.2). The photo entitled “Glimpse of Mahone Bay” (possibly taken by Harris) was found in a home in Cape Breton and subsequently donated by Dave and Betty Hess in 1994 (accession Number 06.3.7.5). An accrual found in the Museum’s backlog in 2018 comprises a donation received from Robert Tuck (including accession U-257) in 2004.

Scope and content

Fonds consists of letters to Harris’s parents, a Vade Mecum notebook, a copy of The Wells Our Fathers Digged, and original and copy photographs relating primarily to the Harris family, but also including views of St. James Church and Mahone Bay, as well as photographic copies of Robert Harris artwork.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

File list is available.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Sources

Accession area