Elliot & Hopson (active 1895 – 1901)

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Elliot & Hopson (active 1895 – 1901)

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1895 - 1901

History

Edward Elliot and Charles H. Hopson partnered to form Elliot and Hopson, Architects in 1895, Halifax, Nova Scotia. The firm moved to the new Harrison Building on Barrington St. In 1896. Introducing the latest American styles, the firm executed a number of commissions for important residences in Halifax: the H. B. Clarke mansion, the Simon Holmes’ on South Park St., and the “Lindola” granite mansion on Young Ave., built for the Hobreckers in 1901 in teh Richardson Romanesque style. They also designed new buildings in Windsor, Sydney, and Truro, including the New Science Building (currently home to the Colchester Historical Society Museum and Archives) on Young Street in 1901.
Elliot’s death in 1901 caused the dissolution of the firm, and C. H. Hopson, with his brother, the engineer Edward G. Hopson, became the successors in the Hopson Bros. partnership.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Draft

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

March 1, 2019

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC