Fairview Cemetery Company

Identity area

Type of entity

Authorized form of name

Fairview Cemetery Company

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

Incorporated by chapter 217 of the 1893 Acts of Nova Scotia, the Greenwood Cemetery Company changed its name the next year to the Fairview Cemetery Company. The company was owned by a number of shareholders who elected a board of directors to manage the company. In 1896 the board consisted of eleven members, and included a president, vice president, and secretary/treasurer. Fairview Cemetery Company established and operated the Fairview Cemetery which was originally about fifty acres in size but was later reduced to about twenty-eight acres. In addition to selling plots to individuals and families, the company had contracts to bury victims from the Halifax Explosion, the S.S. Titanic, and the City of Halifax’s poor. The business was never very profitable and in 1944 the company voluntarily liquidated its assets and transferred ownership of the cemetery to the City of Halifax. Management of the cemetery then became the responsibility of the city’s Committee on Works.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places