Title and statement of responsibility area
George L. Monk fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Accession number 2012.024
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Monk, George L.
Physical description area
Includes: 3 folders of textual records, 3 account books
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
George Lewis Monk was born December 17, 1876 in Ship Harbour, Nova Scotia. He was the son of lumberman James Richard Monk and Sabina (Weeks) Monk. As a young man he worked for Hill & French Lumber Company in Ship Harbour and subsequently opened his own store in Ship Harbour around 1896. The Marine Highway Historical Society’s compilation, The Gull’s Cry, references an 1899 news article mentioning George Monk as clearing away a site for a new store. He married Mary Edith Robertson on January 2, 1901 at Christ Church in Dartmouth and together they had a daughter, Marcia, in 1903. In addition to a general store, George L. Monk also operated three lumber camps, a mill, and a cookhouse. In the 1930s and 1940s, when there was a demand for pulpwood, he sold pulp to various foreign buyers including the United States, Germany, and Norway. He worked as a lumber and general merchant for over fifty years, however, business declined after the war and the store was closed in the early 1950s. George L. Monk died January 24, 1959 and is buried at St. Stephen’s cemetery, Ship Harbour.
The records of George L. Monk were donated to Dalhousie University Archives and Special Collections by his grandson, Edward Hollingum, in 1973. They were transferred to the Eastern Shore Archives on February 16, 2012.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of records related to the business operations of George L. Monk, including both wholesale and retail activities. Records include receipts and invoices from business transactions with primarily Halifax-based wholesalers as well as correspondence and three account books.
The leather and cardboard covers of the three extant ledgers, as well as their endpapers, were mouldy, and thus removed and discarded when the material was processed and re-housed.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Open to researchers without restrictions.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
No further accruals are expected.
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Marine Highway Historical Society (1984). The Gull’s Cry, p. 20.
Stevens, Robert Kim (2002). Eastern Shore families: Ship Harbour including Ship
Harbour, Lower Ship Harbour, and East Ship Harbour. Lake Charlotte: Maritime
Wilson Hammond, Thea (2012). George Monk Store. Snap Dartmouth magazine, July
Digital object metadata