Title and statement of responsibility area
George Lawson fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
7 cm of textual records (35 folders)
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
George Lawson was born 12 October 1827 at Newport, Scotland, to Alexander Lawson and Margaret McEwan. He was married first to Lucy Stapley (d. 1871) of Edinburgh, with whom he had two daughters. In 1876, five years after Stapley's death, he married Caroline Matilda Knox, née Jordan, in Halifax.
Lawson was initally apprenticed to a soliciter, but was moved to study the natural and physical sciences at the University of Edinburgh. He received his DPhil from the University of Giessen and moved to Canada in 1858 to take up an appointment as professor of chemistry and natural history at Queen's University in Kingston, Ontario. During his time at Queen's he founded the Botanical Society of Canada (1860).
In 1863 Lawson left Queen's to join the newly reorganized Dalhousie College as professor of chemistry and mineralogy, where he introduced laboratory work and field trips into his classes. Lawson lectured at the Halifax Medical College, helped to organize the Technological Institute of Halifax (1877), and was an avid supporter of the Nova Scotian Institute of Natural Science (later the Nova Scotian Institute of Science). He was a charter member of the Royal Society of Canada, serving as its president in 1887–1888, and was involved in overseas organizations such as London's Royal Horticultural Society. Lawson died of a stroke in 1895.
Fonds was acquired in two accessions (1972 and 1977); custodial history is unknown.
Scope and content
Fonds comprises off prints of Lawson's papers (1854-1894), a handwritten catalogue of Lawson's library, handwritten botanical observations (1891), a published program of a course of botany lectures, published testimonials (1874), and an obituary (1895).
Immediate source of acquisition
Fonds includes one series containing the bulk of the records, which are offprints. These are arranged chronologically.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script note
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no access restrictions on these materials. All materials are open for research.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Materials do not circulate and must be used in the Archives and Special Collections Reading Room. Materials may be under copyright. Contact departmental staff for guidance on reproduction.
For correspondence between Lawson and Robert Bell, his former student and replacement as professor of chemistry and natural history at Queen's University, see the Robert Bell fonds (MS-2-361).
Alexander G. Russell's notes on Lawson's chemistry lectures can be found in the Russell fonds (MS-2-380).
No further accruals are expected.
Preferred citation: [Identification of item], George Lawson fonds, MS-2-159, Box [box number], Folder [folder number], Dalhousie University Archives, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
- Dalhousie University. (Subject)
Genre access points
This fonds description comes from the Dalhousie University Archives Catalog. The complete, original description is available there.