Grace Maternity Hospital fonds

Zone du titre et de la mention de responsabilité

Titre propre

Grace Maternity Hospital fonds

Dénomination générale des documents

  • Document iconographique
  • Document textuel

Titre parallèle

Compléments du titre

Mentions de responsabilité du titre

Notes du titre

Niveau de description

Fonds

Cote

MS-13-48

Zone de l'édition

Mention d'édition

Mentions de responsabilité relatives à l'édition

Zone des précisions relatives à la catégorie de documents

Mention d'échelle (cartographique)

Mention de projection (cartographique)

Mention des coordonnées (cartographiques)

Mention d'échelle (architecturale)

Juridiction responsable et dénomination (philatélique)

Zone des dates de production

Date(s)

  • 1942 - 1955 (Production)
    Producteur
    Grace Maternity Hospital

Zone de description matérielle

Description matérielle

1.5 cm of textual records and graphic material

Zone de la collection

Titre propre de la collection

Titres parallèles de la collection

Compléments du titre de la collection

Mention de responsabilité relative à la collection

Numérotation à l'intérieur de la collection

Note sur la collection

Zone de la description archivistique

Nom du producteur

(1918-1992)

Histoire administrative

The Grace Maternity Hospital had its beginnings as Harrow House, opened in 1906 by the Salvation Army as a residential maternity hospital for unmarried women. Dr. P.A. MacDonald served as medical superintendent and physicians volunteered their services. Following the 1917 Halifax Explosion, the need for a dedicated maternity institution for all women was recognized by the Halifax Medical Association, and Dalhousie University offered the Salvation Army both the land and the money to build and run the new hospital.

The Grace Maternity Hospital opened on 29 April 1922 as the only independent maternity hospital in Canada; it was affiliated as a teaching hospital with the Dalhousie's Department of Pediatrics. Located on the east side of Robie Street on the block bounded by University Avenue and College Street, it initially accommodated 65 mothers and babies. Major renovations were made in 1956, 1962, 1973 and 1977, after the Halifax Infirmary stopped taking maternity cases. By the 1970s the Grace occupied half a city block with 126 adult beds and 166 bassinets with 40 in the neo-natal intensive care unit (NICU). In 1992, the Izaak Walton Killam-Grace Health Centre for Children, Woman and Families (IWK-Grace) opened, amalgamating administrative and operational services between the two hospitals.

Historique de la conservation

Records were accessioned by the Dalhousie University Archives in 1984. Custodial history is unknown.

Portée et contenu

Fonds consists of reports, statistics, and photographs of the hospital.

Zone des notes

État de conservation

Source immédiate d'acquisition

Classement

Langue des documents

  • anglais

Écriture des documents

Note de langue et graphie

English

Localisation des originaux

Disponibilité d'autres formats

Restrictions d'accès

There are no access restrictions on these materials. All materials are open for research.

Délais d'utilisation, de reproduction et de publication

Materials do not circulate and must be used in the Dalhousie University Archives and Special Collections Reading Room. Materials may be under copyright. Contact departmental staff for guidance on reproduction.

Instruments de recherche

Éléments associés

Éléments associés

Accroissements

Identifiant(s) alternatif(s)

Zone du numéro normalisé

Numéro normalisé

Mots-clés

Mots-clés - Lieux

Mots-clés - Noms

Mots-clés - Genre

Zone du contrôle

Sources

Description comes from the Dalhousie University Archives Catalog. The complete, original description is available there.

Zone des entrées