Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Halifax Fire Department
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
1894 - 1996
Prior to 1894, the apparatus for fire prevention was owned by the City of Halifax but operated under care of the volunteer-run Union Engine Company, which was established in 1768 and overseen by the Board of Firewards. In 1894, the city brought firefighting personnel and equipment under direct municipal control by creating the Halifax Fire Department, which had paid full-time and on-call firemen. This apparently absorbed much of the Union Engine Company. The department was managed by the Board of Firewards (apparently also refered to as the Board of Firewards and Fire Commissioners) until 1940 when the Committee on Safety assumed control. The Halifax Fire Department was absorbed by the Halifax Regional Fire and Emergency Service upon municipal amalgamation in 1996.
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Access points area
Subject access points
Place access points
Authority record identifier
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Minutes of the City Council of Halifax, October 29, 1894, pp. 99-103.
Minutes of the City Council of Halifax, March 10, 1896, pp. 226-231.
Statutes of Nova Scotia 1940, c. 56.
Connelly, P. (1968?). 200 Years of Firefighting: 1768-1968. Halifax: Halifax Fire Department.
Lawlor, A. (2005). Halifax Regional Fire and Emergency Service. Halifax: Nimbus.