Title and statement of responsibility area
Halifax Graving Dock Company fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
3 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Halifax Graving Dock Company was incorporated in 1885 by English investors for the purpose of constructing and running a dry dock in Halifax, Nova Scotia. The company was subsidized $10,000 annually for 20 years by each the British Admiralty, the Dominion government and the City of Halifax.The dock opened in 1889 on the western shore of Halifax Harbour in the community of Richmond. The following year the company purchased the Chebucto Marine Railway in Dartmouth Cove, at the mouth of the former Shubenacadie Canal.
Initially unprofitable, under the management of Samuel Manners Brookfield, and later his son, John Waites Brookfield, the company had paid off its arrears by 1918. On December 6, 1917 the graving dock facilities on the Halifax side of the harbour were badly damaged by the Halifax Explosion, which occurred 300 metres north of the graving dock.
Although Samuel Brookfield had the graving dock back in operation within two months of the explosion, the government used the situation to expropriate the company's properties in order to build an integrated building and repair facility for steel-hulled ships. The Halifax Graving Dock Company was compensated $1,250,000. Brookfield and the other shareholders unsuccessfully contested the expropriation before the Exchequer Court of Canada, which resulted in only a slight increase in compensation when the judgement was received in 1920.
The new shipyard facility was first leased and then sold to the newly formed Halifax Shipyards Limited. In 1920 the British Empire Steel Corporation acquired control of the shipyard's stock, which was subsequently purchased in 1930 by Dominion Coal and Steel Corporation. Over the next sixty years the shipyard was owned by various interests; in 1994 it was purchased by the Irving-owned Saint John Shipbuilding Limited and renamed Halifax Shipyard Limited.
Custodial history is unknown; the fonds was purchased by Charles Armour in 1977.
Scope and content
The fonds contains documents used in the legal proceedings taken by the shareholders of the Halifax Graving Dock Company in response to the company's expropriation by the government. There is also a 1942 court judgment of an unrelated case of land expropriation in Sydney, Nova Scotia.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script note
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no access restrictions on these materials. All materials are open for research.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Materials do not circulate and must be used in the Archives and Special Collections Reading Room. Materials may be under copyright. Contact departmental staff for guidance on reproduction.
No further accruals are expected.
Preferred citation: [Identification of item], Halifax Graving Dock Company fonds, MS-4-124, Box [box number], Folder [folder number], Dalhousie University Archives and Special Collections, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
This fonds description comes from the Dalhousie University Archives Catalog. The complete, original description is available there.