Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Halifax (N.S.: County).
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The boundaries of Halifax County were established in 1759 and were much larger than what became known as Halifax County, as Sydney, Pictou and Colchester Counties were removed. The Halifax County Court of General Sessions of the Peace oversaw local administration until the 1879 County Incorporation Act replaced it with an eleted municipal council. Council consisted of one representative for each county district, thirty-one at the time. A warden was then elected from amongst the councillors, by the councillors, to serve as chief executive officer of the council. The number of councillors changed throughout the years to reflect changes in district boundaries. On 1 April 1996, the Municipality of the County of Halifax amalgamated with the City of Halifax, the City of Dartmouth, and the Town of Bedford to form Halifax Regional Municipality. Colonel J.W. Laurie from Waverley was the county’s first warden. See [a complete list of the county’s elected officials] (https://www.halifax.ca/about-halifax/municipal-archives/source-guides/elected-officials-lists") .