Halifax (N.S.). Fairview Cemetery records

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Halifax (N.S.). Fairview Cemetery records

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description


Reference code

102-32 (Formerly RG 35-102-32A)

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1884-1994 (Creation)
    Fairview Cemetery Company

Physical description area

Physical description

1.94 m of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

Incorporated by chapter 217 of the 1893 Acts of Nova Scotia, the Greenwood Cemetery Company changed its name the next year to the Fairview Cemetery Company. The company was owned by a number of shareholders who elected a board of directors to manage the company. In 1896 the board consisted of eleven members, and included a president, vice president, and secretary/treasurer. Fairview Cemetery Company established and operated the Fairview Cemetery which was originally about fifty acres in size but was later reduced to about twenty-eight acres. In addition to selling plots to individuals and families, the company had contracts to bury victims from the Halifax Explosion, the S.S. Titanic, and the City of Halifax’s poor. The business was never very profitable and in 1944 the company voluntarily liquidated its assets and transferred ownership of the cemetery to the City of Halifax. Management of the cemetery then became the responsibility of the city’s Committee on Works.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Series consists of records created and accumulated by the Fairview Cemetery Company and the cemetery’s superintendent related to establishing, operating, winding down the business, and then the ongoing operation of the cemetery under the City of Halifax. Includes lists of directors and shareholders; legal documents and agreements; meeting minutes; annual reports; and financial documents; correspondence; burial register indices and cemetery index sheets; lists of Titanic victims at the cemetery; burial permits; and plans of the cemetery.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Series transferred from NSARM to HRM in 2004 and accessioned by the HRM Archives in 2005. Transfers from Transportation and Public Works and the Records Centre in 2010 included deeds; burial lists and indices; additional burial permits, correspondence, and accounting information; rules and regulations; and plans of the cemetery.


Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Nova Scotia Archives holds St. John's Anglican Church Cemetery records including records of interments, sale of lots and improvement expenditures: 1930-1940; cmetery accounts: 1938-1940; index to lots and accounts: 1932-1942; list of Imperial War Graves; accounts and cemetery blue print: 1921-1923: microfilm no. 12054-12056, 22796

Related materials


Signatures note

Minutes are often signed and approved by the president.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area


Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres