Title and statement of responsibility area
Halifax School for the Blind fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Halifax School for the Blind
Physical description area
- 16.8 m of textual records
- 26 photographs
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Halifax School for the Blind opened in 1871 with two teachers and four students. Sir Charles Frederick Fraser, the first superintendant from 1873 to 1923, raised funds through music concerts and public lectures. In 1882 the Nova Scotia Legislative Assembly passed an act for free education of the blind. By 1887 the school was admitting students from the Atlantic region and 145 students were enrolled in 1902. By 1918 the school offered a variety of subjects, particularly those designed to place the blind in the workforce. In 1975, the school changed from a private to a public institution with the formation of the Atlantic Provinces Special Education Authority. The school was renamed the Atlantic Provinces Resource Centre for the Visually Impaired.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of 14 series including the School Superintendent's correspondence, student records, School funds and campaigns records, Board of Managers minute books and other material, financial records, student grants, Halifax Harbour explosion of 1917 eye injury records, Constitution and by-laws, and School photographs. Fonds also includes Braille books and other published material. See series descriptions for complete list and details.
Immediate source of acquisition
Records transferred to Nova Scotia Archives in 1983 from the director of the school.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Series descriptions available.
- Annual reports for the school are available in the NS Archives' Library.
- See also Davies, Lynn. "The Halifax School for the Blind: Past and Present." Atlantic Advocate. 74.7 (March 1984): 39-41, available in the NS Archives' Library.