Title and statement of responsibility area
Halifax Seed Company fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
30 cm of textual records. - -- 17 photographs; -- 2 ledger books.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Halifax Seed Company, founded in 1866 by Fred and John Tregunno, is the oldest seed merchant in Canada. The company was originally located at 151 Granville Street in Halifax. However, the building was destroyed in 1917 in the Halifax Explosion, and the company relocated to 5860 Kane Street.
Fred Tregunno owned and worked at the Halifax Seed Company until his death on July 30, 1960. At his death, his sons Warren Tregunno (1929-) and Paul Tregunno (1937-), already employed by the company, took over administrative control. Warren Tregunno, who served as vice-president and treasurer, had graduated from the Truro Agriculture College and Mount Allison Commercial College; his brother Paul graduated from Dalhousie with a commerce degree.
Still in operation in 2011, the company has corporate outlets in New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island.
Warren Tregunno donated this collection to the Dalhousie Archives on May 11, 1971. The Halifax Seed Company and the Tregunno family maintained the collection from the time of the records' creation until Dalhousie's acquisition of them.
Scope and content
The fonds contains business correspondence between the Halifax Seed Company and their associates worldwide as well as two ledger books. Advertisements and printed matter originally enclosed with correspondence provide an insight into the 1960s relevant beyond their connection to the Halifax Seed Company.
The company has been in operation for 137 years, yet the collection lacks information before 1956 and after 1965.
Immediate source of acquisition
The ordering of records in this collection was somewhat altered in 2003 in that advertisements from the company's suppliers were removed from their appropriate files and compiled in a separate series.
All correspondence was originally filed alphabetically by company name; this ordering remains. Some files included photographs that were removed and placed in a subsequent file as a conservation measure.
The company's ledgers are arranged alphabetically by customer and supplier from 1956 to 1960
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script note
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no access restrictions on these materials. All materials are open for research.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Materials do not circulate and must be used in the Archives and Special Collections Reading Room. Materials may be under copyright. Contact departmental staff for guidance on reproduction.
Whether there will be any future accruals is unknown.
Preferred citation: [Identification of item], Halifax Seed Company fonds, MS-4-21, Box [box number], Folder [folder number], Dalhousie University Archives and Special Collections, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
This fonds description comes from the Dalhousie University Archives Catalog. The complete, original description is available there.