Title and statement of responsibility area
Halifax Women's Voluntary Services records
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
18 folders of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Women's Voluntary Services Bureau was inaugurated in 1943 within the Halifax Citizens' War Service Committee. Mrs. Edith B. Girouard was Chairman of a Board comprised of leaders of various Halifax social agencies. She succeeded in getting funding for the organization through Warren Publicover of the British War Relief Society of the U.S.A. Canadian (Maple Leaf) Division.
The WVS Centre was a recruiting centre and manning pool for volunteers needed in the many war-time service agencies. They registered the skills and availablility of volunteers and requisitioned them to permanent and emergency volunteer positions. The Centre responded to urgent requests from any war-time effort; a big project was assisting the Department of National War Services with the distribution of Family Allowance to Halifax servicemen's families.
There were Women's Voluntary Services organizations throughout Canada and the United Kingdom.
The Centre appeared to wrap-up after the war, but there was mention of it as a model for a volunteer service bureau for the City of Halifax.
Donated by Leslie Pezzack in 2011. Ms. Pezzack is the niece of Zilpha Linkletter, who acquired these records with Col. Samual R. Balcom.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of records of the Halifax Women's Voluntary Services documenting their Centre's operations, liaison with other social agencies in Halifax, Ottawa and England, and their volunteers. Registration cards give details about the women who volunteered their time, and the Requisition forms and Permanent Placement register give details on the type of work they did in agencies such as the Ajax Club, Blood Donor Clinics, Canadian Legion Hostels and Library, the Central Magazine Exchange, the Children's Hospital, the Concert Guild, Jost Mission, Lady Ironside Knitting, Navy League Recreation Centre, North End Services Canteen, NS College of Art, Protestant Orphanage, Salvation Army, Red Cross, YMCA, and YWCA.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
There is a Mayor's Office subject file on Women's Volunteer Services, 1943-1945 in 102-3-178.Nova Scotia Archives has a Women’s Voluntary Services Centre scrapbook. – 1943-1946 in the Edith Girouard fonds. Library and Archives Canada holds records of the Department of National War Services.