Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Henderson, Dougald, 1844–1910
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
Born at River John, Pictou County to parents John and Catherine Henderson, young Dougald worked for some years at Old Barns, Colchester County on the interior carpentry and finishing of vessels built on the Cobequid shore. He married Adelaide Wilson at Clifton on January 1, 1873.
Around 1885 they moved to Truro, where Dougald first worked as a carpenter. It is unclear at what point he acquired his draughting skill, but in 1896 Henderson was receiving tenders as the architect of the Presbyterian Church in Belmont. In 1897 he operated a cabinetmaking business in Truro and is called “the town architect” in connection with the plans for a church hall, and he was also supervising architect for the construction. A $30 invoice for building plans and specifications for J.D. Murray Crockett for 82 Arthur Street revealed his business office to be on Revere St., Truro in 1904. His business met with great success, and his obituary recalls that Henderson designed some of the best residences in Truro, among them the Crockett House, one for the Stanfield family as well as several public buildings. He also designed Great Village School, opened in 1904.
A member of the First Presbyterian Church, Dougald Henderson had a kind, genial way and was said to be “willing to assist unobtrusively in every good cause”. He continued to practice in Truro until his death at his Park Street home in September 1910. Buried in Clifton, he was survived by his wife, a son in Winnipeg, and a daughter on the faulty of the Maritime Business College in Halifax.
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Access points area
Subject access points
Place access points
Authority record identifier
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
March 1, 2019