Item - 90.9.126

Original Digital object not accessible

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

90.9.126

General material designation

  • Graphic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Item

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

Physical description area

Physical description

1 photographic print

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1914 - 1985)

Administrative history

The Maritime Home for Girls was established on 1 September 1914 by the Protestant Churches of the Maritime Provinces as a reformatory home and training school for girls under the age of 16 who were homeless, neglected, or considered to be delinquents. In addition to a regular public school curriculum, the girls were taught home economics and religion. The Home began as a singular building, with the addition of a cottage in 1917, and another two in the 1920s. The grounds consisted of 240 acres of land, 64 of which were being cultivated in the 1940s. They also kept Holstein cows and chickens on the farm which helped to finance the Home’s operation. The centre of the campus was Ross Hall. The Home partnered with the Local Council of Women for special events, such as flower shows. After encountering financial difficulties, responsibility for the Home was taken over by the Department of Public Welfare on 1 April 1967 and it was renamed to the Nova Scotia School for Girls. The school was converted to the Nova Scotia Residential Centre, a co-educational facility for emotionally disturbed children in February 1985, resulting in the closure of the Nova Scotia School for Girls.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The item is a black and white photograph of the students at the Maritime Home for Girls performing a Christmas concert. There are small fir trees in front of the students, and the room is adorned with holiday decorations. On the back of the photograph, the following names are listed: Mary, Jennie, Blanche, Rose, Margaret, Mary, Nettie, Olive, Edith, Dorothy, Mabel, Mae, Velda, Verda, Dorothy, Elsie, Evangeline, Naeda, Margaret, Mary, Ethel, Mabel, Evelyn, Mary, and Marion.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

A digital access copy is available for viewing.

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Sources

Digital object (Master) rights area

Digital object (Reference) rights area

Digital object (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres