Print preview Close

Showing 137 results

Archival description
19 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects
Anderson family fonds
Fonds · ca. 1863-1936
Fonds consists of family and business records relating to the Anderson family of Sherbrooke, Guysborough County. Included are 4 ledgers and 2 accompanying indexes from A. Anderson & Sons, general merchants (ca. 1908 to 1936); business receipts, invoices, and statements relating to A. Anderson & Sons; personal correspondence, predominantly between Caroline MacKeen Anderson and her children, (ca. 1863 to 1907); photocopies of C.W. Anderson's report cards from Pictou Academy (1887-1888); records relating to the Anderson's shipping interests; teaching records of Caroline MacKeen Anderson and a school register for Sherbrooke section (1866-1867); several portraits of Anderson family members; and other miscellaneous records. 2020.017; 2020.029; 2020.031; 2020.037; 2020.038; 2020.059; 2022.006; 2022.016
Lomas family fonds
Fonds · 1866- 2009, predominant 1970- 2000
Fonds consists of collected research on the history of the Municipality of the District of St. Mary’s from its earliest records, with a special focus on gold mining and Goldenville, Nova Scotia, as well as the personal archives of the Lomas family recording their decades of public service alongside historical material gathered from their families and the community in Sherbrooke, Nova Scotia. The historical research begins with the earliest inhabitants of the Municipality of the District of St. Mary’s, and continues with the arrival of Europeans, reports on the economic development of the area, essays on regional occupations, churches, charitable organizations, schools, government, transportation, communications, energy, banking, health care, recreation, and the war effort in two world wars. It collects research on the communities of Ecum Secum, Marie Joseph, New Chester, The Liscombs, Spanish Ship Bay, Sherbrooke, Sonora, Wine Harbour, Indian Harbour, Port Hilford, Port Bickerton, Harpelville, Fisherman’s Harbour, Jordanville, Stillwater, Waternish, Melrose, Aspen, The Forks, Denver, Glenelg, Smithfield, the Caledonias, Goshen, Argyle, Garden of Eden and the St. Mary’s River. Goldenville, Nova Scotia, is covered extensively with maps, photographs, census reports and other papers. Many histories of the region are collected in this fond, including unpublished memoirs. Papers from the Prince Henry Sinclair Society, St. Mary’s Historical Society, West River Station Restoration Committee, St. Mary’s Anglican Church in Summerside, Prince Edward Island, Sherbrooke Library, Sherbrooke Village, Canso Historical Society, and the Liberal Party of Nova Scotia are also in this fonds, alongside a generous collection of material generated by the Lomas family themselves. There are records from the foreign service of Alton Anderson Lomas in the United States, Mexico, Belgium, and China, as well as his political work in Ontario and Nova Scotia. There is also an extensive record of the community service done by Al and Aleah Lomas, notably her work as librarian at the Sherbrooke Library, and several awards for volunteer service. In addition to the Lomas family material, this fonds holds genealogy research for many local families, notably the McKean/McKeen, Anderson, Henderson, Landesberg, and McLane families. There are photographs of local people and landscapes dating back to the 1870 opening of the first bridge over the St. Mary’s River at Sherbrooke, up to the 2005 wedding reception of Aleah Lomas Anderson and Murray Anderson, with an emphasis on the Anderson, Lomas, Palmer, and MacDonald families. The fonds also has audio and video recordings of interviews, speeches, and brief reports discussing topics of interest to the eastern shore of Nova Scotia. Fonds consists of the following series:Series 1: History of the Municipality of the District of St. Mary’sSeries 2: Lomas History of the Municipality of the District of St. Mary’sSeries 3: St. Mary’s Historical SocietySeries 4: CemeteriesSeries 5: ChurchesSeries 6: Foreign ServicesSeries 7: GenealogySeries 8: Gold Mining and Heritage Goldenville SocietySeries 9: Heritage / Heritage Inventory ProgramSeries 10: Industry, LocalSeries 11: MapsSeries 12: MemoirsSeries 13: MilitarySeries 14: News ClippingsSeries 15: ObituariesSeries 16: Personal PapersSeries 17: PhotographsSeries 18: Photographic SlidesSeries 19: Sherbrooke LibrarySeries 20: Sherbrooke VillageSeries 21: Audio RecordingsSeries 22: VHS cassette tapesSeries 23: Ships and shippingSeries 24: Books and Periodicals, CollectedSeries 25: MacDonald familySeries 26: Glass negativesSeries 27: Canadian Government ServiceSeries 28: Community Initiatives 2022.006
Frank W. Jordan fonds
Fonds · 1885-2002, predominant 1930s-1970s
Fonds consists of personal, business, association and institutional records relating to the Municipality of the District of St. Mary’s, with a special emphasis on Sherbrooke, Nova Scotia. Included are meeting minutes, reports, and news from local associations including Heritage Goldenville Society, Royal Canadian Legion, Queen’s Lodge No. 34 A. F. & A. M., Sherbrooke Amateur Athletic Association, Sherbrooke Hockey League, St. Mary’s Boat Club, St. Mary’s Curling Club, St. Mary’s Driving Society, St. Mary’s Guest Home Society, St. Mary’s Historical Society, St. Mary’s District Rink Association and RecPlex, St. Mary’s River Association (1924-2003, predominantly 1970s-early 2000s); correspondence from the Department of Fisheries (c. 1920s); news clippings, reports, and press releases for local events including Communities in Bloom and Old Fashioned Christmas at Sherbrooke Village (1945-2002, predominantly early 2000s); maps, budgets, reports, meeting minutes, and other paperwork from Historic Sherbrooke Village (1971-1977); ledgers, news clippings, pulp samples from a local mill, and other papers related to local merchants and industry in the region (1872-2001, predominantly 1948-1968); papers from the Presbyterian, United, and St. James Anglican Churches, as well as the St. Mary’s Municipal School Board, Post Office, Library, St. Mary’s District Lions Club, St. Mary’s Memorial Hospital, Sunset Rest Cemetery, Down East Fire Fighters Association and Fire Department (1915-1996, predominantly 1930s-2000s); newspapers with Sherbrooke-related content, including the Family Herald and Weekly Star (1948), The Eastern Chronicle (1919), and Canso Breeze (1965-1966); a diary, family photographs, horse racing album, military service records, business ledgers, and personal family papers of Frank Jordan himself alongside unpublished memoirs and other papers from other Sherbrooke residents on the subject of local history; photographs, personal accounts, and newsletters about the St. Mary’s River (1900-2002, primarily concerning the 1956 flood). Also included in the collection are oral histories recorded at meetings of the St. Mary’s Historical Society (1978-1990). Fonds consists of the following series:Series 1: Andersons and Murdochs, Collected PapersSeries 2: Associations, LocalSeries 3: Department of FisheriesSeries 4: Diary (Digitized)Series 5: Emergency Measures OrganizationSeries 6: Events, LocalSeries 7: Historic Sherbrooke VillageSeries 8: Horse Racing Album (Digitized)Series 9: Business, LocalSeries 10: Institutions, LocalSeries 11: Municipality of the District of St. Mary’sSeries 12: Newspapers, RegionalSeries 13: Oral HistoriesSeries 14: Papers, CollectedSeries 15: Photographs (Digitized)Series 16: Periodicals, Collected RegionalSeries 17: St. Mary’s District Development AssociationSeries 18: St. Mary’s Historical Society and Historical MaterialSeries 19: St. Mary’s River 2020.011
McConnell family fonds
Fonds · ca. 1881-1899
Fonds consist of account books from various McConnell family business enterprises, including brothers William and James McConnell's merchant and seafaring activities along the Labrador coast (7 books, ca. 1880s and 1890s), and James McConnell's (1873-1957) merchant activities in Forest Hill Mines, Guysborough Co. N.S. (8 books, ca. 1896-1899). 2020.044
Lester V. Macdonald fonds
Fonds · ca. 1820s - 1980s, predominant 1950s -1970s
Fonds consists of ledgers pertaining to the operation of Macdonald Garage and Equipment, Sherbrooke (1927-1951), one accounts ledger for the 19th-century Sherbrooke merchant Alexander Macdonald that lists the names of numerous St. Mary's area residents along with their occupation, goods purchased, and payments made, either cash or in-kind (ca. 1850-1860). Reports, files, meeting minutes, and correspondence relating to the development of Sherbrooke Village Restoration and the work of the Sherbrooke Restoration Commission. Reports, files, meeting minutes, and correspondence relating to the work of the St. Mary's Development Association. Reports and correspondence relating to upgrading and training programs at St. Mary's Rural High School (1968-1970). Meeting minutes of first home and school association (1935-1937). Drafts of Sherbrooke Women's Institute's Tweedsmuir Village Book (ca.1947). Meeting minutes of the St. Mary's District Ratepayers Association (1966-1968). Miscellaneous newspaper clippings, genealogy research files, photocopied photographs and documents, as well as primary documents such as letters, deeds, and maps relating to the historic people, places, buildings, societies, religious institutions, industries, businesses, and events within the Municipality of the District of St. Mary's. Book of regulations and prizes for the Guysborough County exhibition (1889). Research notes and short histories of Sherbrooke and area written by Lester V. Macdonald, as well as other miscellaneous local history and genealogy files and correspondence pertaining to the St. Mary's River region. Some materials are copies of 19th and 20th century records. A small amount of personal material of Lester V. Macdonald, including collected ephemera, clippings, correspondence, and a wartime diary entry is included. Fonds consists of the following series:Series 1: LedgersSeries 2: Correspondence and FilesSeries 3: Reports and Compilations 2018.017
R.R. Sinclair fonds
Fonds · 1905-1915
Fonds consists of one accounts ledger for R.R. Sinclair, General Merchant, Sherbrooke (1905-1913). Ledger lists local and non-local account names (both individuals and companies), goods purchased, and payments made, both cash and in-kind. Back of the ledger lists additional accounts. Interleaved within the ledger is the pamphlet "Speech of Hon. J. Anderson in the Legislative Council on Tuesday, June 1st, Dealing with the Affairs of the Commercial Bank of Newfoundland" (ca. 1915) and a printed tag from Sinclair's store located between pages 163 and 164 of the ledger. 2020.003
Duncan–Hayes family fonds
Fonds · 1859-1955
Fonds consists of correspondence, diaries, notes, an autograph book, indentures, invoices, financial statements, business records, certificates, grey literature, ephemera, memorabilia, and a photograph documenting the activities of both George and Lucy Hayes Duncan, as well as their three children and Lucy’s brother John Hayes. The fonds has been arranged in six series: George Duncan Records, Lucy Catherine (Hayes) Duncan Records, John Hayes Records, Edith Helen Duncan Records, Jane Dorothea “Dora” Duncan Records, and John Henry Duncan Records. MBMS-2
Fonds · 1913-1949
Fonds consists of account books and day books from G. J. Leslie store (and its inheritors) between 1918 and 1949. Fonds also consists of a voters list of Spry Bay in 1928 and transcripts created by Siobhan Nelson of the account books. Accession number: 2008.028
Account books
Series · 1916-1949
Part of G. J. Leslie General Merchandise fonds
Series forms part of the G. J. Leslie General Merchandise fonds and consists of loose pages from early account books as well as eighteen day books and three large ledger books documenting customer accounts and orders of goods. Some of the large ledger books contain loose receipts and order forms from suppliers and customers from various years. Also included are notes regarding the ledgers, some in correspondence with Robert Kim Stevens in 1998. The notes include personal background information on many of the people listed in the ledgers. Names include: James Andrews, Simon Boutilier, West. Boutilier, Uriah Boutilier, Frank Butler, Alfred R. Boutilier, Henry A. Boutilier, Herbert Gerrard, Samuel Boutilier, David Boutilier, Elias Boutilier, Jeremiah Boutilier, Henry Boutilier, John Power, George H. Connor, Alex Connor, Jamieson (Jim) Connor, Gaspar Hawse, Jack McCarty, Percy and Ruben Prest, Alfred Stewart, Albert White, Jack Josey, Henry Prest, Edward Hennebury, George G. Lawlor, Jonathan (J. R.) Hilchey, Mathew Boutilier, Alfred and Edd Henley, William H. Josey, Gordon Boutilier, Herbert Boutilier, Walter Hawse, Alfred Hubley, William Hawse, Nelson Boutilier, Sidney Patterson, Charles Harnish, Amos Harnish, John D. Boutilier, Davis S. Boutilier, Alfred R. Boutilier, Edward Sturmy, Amos Henley, Thomas Jackson, Alex Bollong, Frank Perry, Harry Cooper, William Hubley, James H. Josey, H. C. Leslie, William McKenzie, Frank Josey, James R. Myers, Alex Hilchie, Herbert Gerrard, Amos Henley, Archibald McCarthy, John Beaver, Archibald Borgal, Burton (Bert) Winters, George W. Josey, Lawrence Josey, Charles A. Power, Arthur Power, Ruben Power, William G. Power, George A. Connor, William Monk, Harry Monk, Isaac Prest, Simon Boutilier, Mary Lawlor, Frank McCarty, James Powell, Zachariah"Dock" Beaver, John Arch Power, Nathan Hubley, Charles W. Josey, Emmanuel Josey, Howard Bradley, Bruce Jackson, Jeremiah Beaver, Willis or Tommie Beaver, Alfred Henley, Robert Gerrard. Accession number: 2008.028