Title and statement of responsibility area
McDaniel family fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- McDaniel family
Physical description area
6.0 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Capt. John McDaniel (1816 – 1882) was the second son of Henry McDaniel (1787 – 1842) and Catherine (Umlah / Hemlow) McDaniel (1795 – 1868). John McDaniel and his brother James ran a regular packet service, and in 1864-5, “ John McDaniel and Co.” ran two schooners, between Halifax and Sherbrooke. John held many public offices in Sherbrooke (River Pilot, Inspector of Weights and Measures, Fish Inspector, Beef and Pork Inspector, Coal Measurer, Trustee of Booms, Trustee and later Commissioner of the Court House and Jail, sat on the Grand Jury, and later was a Magistrate, and Judge of the Court of Probate).
He established two ferry services, one across Wine Harbour to the gold diggings (1862) and the other across the St. Mary’s River below Sherbrooke, connecting Sherbrooke to the Goldenville mining district. He established a dock on his land on the western bank of the St. Mary’s River and worked to have a road opened between his wharf and the main road to Goldenville, then instituted a ferry service across the river.
He established McDaniel’s Hotel (Sherbrooke Hotel) ca 1863, in the village of Sherbrooke. He operated a carriage service to transport guests from the dock to the hotel. He operated a store, had a stable and wagon shed, ran a livery service and transported freight from the wharf to his store and made deliveries to Antigonish. John McDaniel married Mary Bent, daughter of William Bent (also known as William Trowbridge).
Unknown until a Mr. Munroe of New Glasgow purchased at a sale; he sold them to the donor, who gifted them to St. Mary's Genealogy Research Centre in 2018.
Scope and content
Fonds contains three record books (1868 – 1913) containing entries from various facets of John and James McDaniel’s business interests. Includes name of customers, stage coach proprietors, mines and miners, freight, prices.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Finding list available