Municipality of the County of Colchester fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Municipality of the County of Colchester fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1899-1955 (Creation)
    Creator
    Municipality of the County of Colchester

Physical description area

Physical description

7 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1879-)

Administrative history

The Municipality of the County of Colchester was created in 1879 when the Nova Scotia government passed the County Incorporation Act, the forerunner of the later Municipal Act. The Act prescribed that, "The Inhabitants of every County and Sessional District in this Province . . . shall be a body corporate under the name of the Municipality of the respective county or district, as the case may be, . . . " . Thus, twenty-four rural municipalities were created on the basis of the existing sessional boundaries of twelve counties and twelve districts in six divided counties. In Colchester County, the boundaries of the Sessions district and the county had been coextensive, and the 1879 Act created a single municipal unit in the county, the Municipality of the County of Colchester. The new rural municipalities were run by elected councils. Generally, the rural municipalities assumed all of the local government powers of the Sessions, which included: poor houses; licences for intoxicating liquor; ferries, wharves, and markets; paying for the administration of justice; tax collection; contracts; salaries; presiding officers; and general supervision. When the County Incorporation Act was replaced by the Municipal Act, the basis of county administration remained very much the same.

Custodial history

Records were donated by Mr. Ken Starrett, who found the records in the County Court House. Londonderry records were donated by Homer C. Wright of Debert, N.S.

Scope and content

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

94.74.1-10 (rolls).

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

See also Township of Londonderry records, Nova Scotia Archives and Records Management, mfm 12, 649.

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Genre access points

Control area

Sources

Accession area