Municipality of the County of Colchester fonds

Zone du titre et de la mention de responsabilité

Titre propre

Municipality of the County of Colchester fonds

Dénomination générale des documents

Titre parallèle

Compléments du titre

Mentions de responsabilité du titre

Notes du titre

Niveau de description

Fonds

Cote

Zone de l'édition

Mention d'édition

Mentions de responsabilité relatives à l'édition

Zone des précisions relatives à la catégorie de documents

Mention d'échelle (cartographique)

Mention de projection (cartographique)

Mention des coordonnées (cartographiques)

Mention d'échelle (architecturale)

Juridiction responsable et dénomination (philatélique)

Zone des dates de production

Date(s)

  • 1899-1955 (Production)
    Producteur
    Municipality of the County of Colchester

Zone de description matérielle

Description matérielle

7 cm of textual records

Zone de la collection

Titre propre de la collection

Titres parallèles de la collection

Compléments du titre de la collection

Mention de responsabilité relative à la collection

Numérotation à l'intérieur de la collection

Note sur la collection

Zone de la description archivistique

Nom du producteur

(1879-)

Histoire administrative

The Municipality of the County of Colchester was created in 1879 when the Nova Scotia government passed the County Incorporation Act, the forerunner of the later Municipal Act. The Act prescribed that, "The Inhabitants of every County and Sessional District in this Province . . . shall be a body corporate under the name of the Municipality of the respective county or district, as the case may be, . . . " . Thus, twenty-four rural municipalities were created on the basis of the existing sessional boundaries of twelve counties and twelve districts in six divided counties. In Colchester County, the boundaries of the Sessions district and the county had been coextensive, and the 1879 Act created a single municipal unit in the county, the Municipality of the County of Colchester. The new rural municipalities were run by elected councils. Generally, the rural municipalities assumed all of the local government powers of the Sessions, which included: poor houses; licences for intoxicating liquor; ferries, wharves, and markets; paying for the administration of justice; tax collection; contracts; salaries; presiding officers; and general supervision. When the County Incorporation Act was replaced by the Municipal Act, the basis of county administration remained very much the same.

Historique de la conservation

Records were donated by Mr. Ken Starrett, who found the records in the County Court House. Londonderry records were donated by Homer C. Wright of Debert, N.S.

Portée et contenu

Zone des notes

État de conservation

Source immédiate d'acquisition

Classement

Langue des documents

Écriture des documents

Localisation des originaux

94.74.1-10 (rolls).

Disponibilité d'autres formats

Restrictions d'accès

Délais d'utilisation, de reproduction et de publication

Instruments de recherche

Éléments associés

See also Township of Londonderry records, Nova Scotia Archives and Records Management, mfm 12, 649.

Éléments associés

Accroissements

Identifiant(s) alternatif(s)

Zone du numéro normalisé

Numéro normalisé

Mots-clés

Mots-clés - Sujets

Mots-clés - Genre

Zone du contrôle

Sources

Zone des entrées