Title and statement of responsibility area
Municipality of the County of Halifax fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
- Multiple media
Other title information
Records held at NSARM were previously known as RG 35-312.
Title statements of responsibility
- Variations in title: Records held at NSARM were previously known as RG 35-312.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
- textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The boundaries of Halifax County were established in 1759 and were much larger than what became known as Halifax County, as Sydney, Pictou and Colchester Counties were removed. The Halifax County Court of General Sessions of the Peace oversaw local administration until the 1879 County Incorporation Act replaced it with an eleted municipal council. Council consisted of one representative for each county district, thirty-one at the time. A warden was then elected from amongst the councillors, by the councillors, to serve as chief executive officer of the council. The number of councillors changed throughout the years to reflect changes in district boundaries. On 1 April 1996, the Municipality of the County of Halifax amalgamated with the City of Halifax, the City of Dartmouth, and the Town of Bedford to form Halifax Regional Municipality. Colonel J.W. Laurie from Waverley was the county’s first warden. For a complete list of the county’s wardens, and biographical information pertaining to them, see http://www.halifax.ca/council/mayor/FormerMayors.html#County.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of records of the Municipality of the County of Halifax.
Immediate source of acquisition
See lower levels of description
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Copies of some records in this fonds are available on microfilm and microfiche in the reading room.
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Finding aids for series and subseries are available onsite. Consult series and subseries descriptions for details.
NSARM holds Halifax County Court of General Sessions of the Peace records, 1770-1880. (see RG 34-312)