Musquodoboit Harbour (N.S.)

Elements area



Scope note(s)

    Source note(s)

      Display note(s)

        Hierarchical terms

        Musquodoboit Harbour (N.S.)

          Equivalent terms

          Musquodoboit Harbour (N.S.)

            Associated terms

            Musquodoboit Harbour (N.S.)

              47 Archival description results for Musquodoboit Harbour (N.S.)

              47 results directly related Exclude narrower terms
              Series · 1941-1945, predominant 1942-1944
              Part of E.J. Webber fonds
              Series forms part of the E.J. Webber fonds and consists of records related to Webber’s activities as a 2nd Lieutenant in the 2nd Reserve Battalion Halifax Rifles during World War II. Series includes documents related to Webber’s training as an officer, as well as instructions on training others including booklets, manuals, memorandums, notes, an examination sheet, and other material. This includes copies of the Canadian Army Training Memorandum, which was a series of pamphlets published on a monthly basis from 1941 to 1945 which were intended to be distributed among all Canadian officers who were serving domestically. The memorandums featured articles and information on various aspects of military life and training. Series also includes issues of War and Current Affairs, a series of booklets issued by the British Army Bureau of Current Affairs; issues of Canadian Affairs, a series of booklets issued by the Canadian Wartime Information Board; and an issue of The Maple Leaf, a newspaper issued to Canadian soldiers. Also included in the series are forms and correspondence related to travelling expense claims for bus trips to Sheet Harbour for officer training classes and for trips to Musquodoboit Harbour and Ship Harbour to supervise training detachments. In addition, series includes a certificate authorizing Webber to be an official Royal Canadian Air Force Aircraft Detection Corps observer, an instruction sheet issued by a superior officer, forms, maps, a postcard, and other material. 2009.045
              Annabel (Siteman) Ells fonds
              Fonds · [ca. 1900-1969]
              The fonds consists of records accumulated by Annabel (Siteman) Ells during the course of her research on the area of Ship Harbour and the families who lived there as well as personal records created and accumulated throughout her lifetime. The fonds includes a wide variety of records such as land related documents, wills, Loyalist petitions, census information, court papers, church registers and vital statistics including marriage, birth, and death records; school papers, genealogies, clippings and notes taken from various newspapers and periodicals, photographs and negatives, correspondence, postcards, and diaries. The records within the fonds shed light on the history of Ship Harbour and its families, the work of Annabel Ells, her personal life from a young girl growing up on the Eastern Shore to travelling as a young woman and attending school, entering into various careers, living as an independent woman in the early 20th century, her marriage later in life and her lifelong interest in her Ship Harbour home. Accession number 2013.066
              Series · 1929-1930
              Part of David James Vaughan fonds
              Series forms part of the James David Vaughn fonds and consists of two municipal tax assessment notices from 1929 and two from 1930 to Mr. David Vaughn, District 37.The two assessments from 1930 include notations at the bottom indicating that Vaughn still owed money for his 1929 assessments with interest.
              Series · 1943
              Part of William Ansell Gaetz family fonds
              Series forms part of the William Ansell Gaetz family fonds and consists of correspondence and a receipt concerning William Gaetz’s payment of dues to the Canadian National Eastern Lines System Federation Brothers of Maintenance of Way Employees dated 1959. There are also five additional receipts for dues paid to the Brotherhood of Maintenance of Way Employees lodge by William Gaetz in 1937 and 1938. In the early days of the railroads, railway barons amassed great fortunes while their employees worked long hours for little pay, with no vacation time, insurance, or pensions. The poor working terms and conditions motivated workers to organize into unions in order to ameliorate their situation. The Brotherhood of the Maintenance of Way Employees was founded in Demopolis, Alabama by John T. Wilson in 1887 as a fraternal organization to represent the workers who build and maintain the railway tracks, bridges, and buildings. In 2004 it became a division of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters.
              Series consists of two certificates. One certifies Alice VanMalder of Musquodoboit Harbour, Halifax County as registrar of births and deaths for Registration Division No. 13 in Halifax County on December 17, 1938. The second certifies Ms. VanMalder as Deputy Issuer of Marriage Licenses at Musquodoboit Harbour on December 8, 1938. Accession number: 2008.008
              Community history
              Series · 1973-1975
              Part of Eastern Shore District High School fonds
              Series forms part of the Eastern Shore District High School fonds and consists of essays written by students pertaining to the history of different areas along the Eastern Shore. Areas included are Bayers Settlement, Chezzetcook, Clam Harbour, Gaetz Brook, Jeddore, Lake Charlotte, Upper Lakeville, Lake Echo, Little Harbour, Musquodoboit Harbour, Ostrea Lake, Petpeswick, Porters Lake, and Ship Harbour. The essays feature topics such as occupations, industries, sports, electricity, tools, education, transportation, census information, the early mail run, the general history of the area and its inhabitants as well as changes that have occurred over the years. Included in the series is the draft of the publication, The Shore Thing, which was a compilation of selected essays from the grade ten local history projects in 1974 to 1975. In addition to the essays, the publication contains jokes, recipes, puzzles and stories. There is also a photocopied picture of ice houses in Lake Banook and a photocopied article about the vessel, Fleur de Lis.
              Series · 1947-1985
              Part of Twin Oaks Memorial Hospital fonds
              Series forms part of the Twin Oaks Memorial Hospital fonds and consists of correspondence related to the establishment and operation of the Twin Oaks Memorial Hospital. Series includes correspondence between P. H. Weary and Jean MacLean, director of the Red Cross outpost hospitals, discussing the planning of the hospital and correspondence of Twin Oaks Memorial Hospital Inc. That file also includes a list of members of the board of trustees from 1984 and other contact information. Series also includes miscellaneous correspondence with Merrill C. Matthews and S. R. Balcom. Accession number 2013.065
              Series · 1947-1956
              Part of William Ansell Gaetz family fonds
              Series forms part of the William Ansell Gaetz family fonds and consists of three cards addressed to William and Josephine Gaetz. Includes two Christmas cards dated 1947 from A. Dillman and Thelma and Russ. The third card is one addressed to William dated 1956 from Bridgewater from [Hildred or Mildred] expressing sympathy, likely upon the death of his wife. Series also includes a postcard to William Gaetz from the United Church Observer thanking him for his gift subscription as well as a paper signed by Rev. George W. Beck dated 1928 and certifying the birth and baptism of William Gaetz.
              Series · ca. 1970-2003
              Part of Robert Kim Stevens fonds
              Series forms part of Robert Kim Stevens fonds and consists of one original drawing of the Thomas Stevens House in Musquodoboit Harbour, by Joan Flewwelling. The house was originally owned by Robert Stevens, the village blacksmith, who had it built circa 1890. It housed the first post office in the area and was later owned by a Mr. Parker, Gerald Graham, Cyril and Kaye Young, and Henry and Elizabeth Boutilier. The drawing was owned by Kim Stevens. He had requested that Joan Flewwelling draw it and she agreed and later sent it to him. The drawing was done from an old photograph of the house as it was ca. the 1850s. 2013.026
              Collection · [ca. 1972-2002]
              Collection consists of copies and transcriptions of records from various churches and parishes that were located on the Eastern Shore of Nova Scotia or which were used by Eastern Shore residents. The collection contains baptismal, marriage, burial, and confirmation records along with other church records, dating from 1752 to 1982. Some records are on microfilm or have been copied from microfilm, while others are typed or handwritten transcriptions of records. 2003.010, 2004.008, 2011.024